A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows Home Server Off To Production

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:27 pm

I don't know if the OEM conditions will be as strict as with Vista. I guess one will be able to buy WHS with a HDD or a cable or mouse even from some online retailers.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby rippinchikkin » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:07 pm

moved from news / rippinchikkin

(Since this seems to be ongoing, this looks like a better home.)
VP - Syndication

Postby shreader » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:24 pm

It appears this vender is taking orders already... in New Zeland
At least he has a Available date there too ^*^

OEM Win Home Server 1pk

Your Price: $253.00 (GST excl)

Available: 15/8/2007
From Warehouse ID: W2 (Wellington)

Update: Available: 17/8/2007
From Warehouse ID: W2 (Wellington)

Product ID: CCQ-00015
Aquila ID: 4130700

Vendor: Microsoft
Category: Systems Software
Sub Category: Other
Updated: 8/08/2007

Product Information :

Microsoft OEM Windows Home Server Win32 (1 Pack)

Warranty Information :

The standard manufacturers warranty is available for this product.

*Link removed*

Note: Tuesday, August 7, 2007

1 New Zealand Dollar = 0.76037 US Dollar

Edit: When googling "CCQ-00015 " there are several sites w/ pricing.
Last edited by shreader on Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Software Director

Postby shreader » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:47 pm

HomeServer.com

Microsoft bought the "HomeServer.Com" domain a year or so ago. The transaction that involved 3 companies, 4 foreign languages and 3 currencies. It took awhile to complete, and it is a funny story that I like to tell in person. But that is not what this post is about ...

When we enabled the Dynamic DNS services for Windows Home Server in the CTP build, we used to 2 test domains (livenode.com and livenode2.com) where Windows Home Server beta testers could get a personalized domain name (e.g. SmithFamily.livenode.com) for remote access to their home server while away from home.

I have some great news to share with all of our early beta testers. If you registered a personalized domain name with either livenode.com or livenode2.com prior to this weekend (August 3, 2007), that domain name will get transferred over to HomeServer.com when you install the RTM (Release to Manufacturing) version of Windows Home Server. This was a one time transfer as a "THANKS" to all of our early testers.

We worked hard to make this happen. We know how important it can be to get your desired personalized domain name. We never could promise this, until we were 100% sure it would work. It works !! I just installed the RTM copy of the Windows Home Server software (one advantage to working on the team) and my domain name automatically showed up as ______.homeserver.com after I logged in with my Windows Live ID.

Any future domain names registered with either the Release Candidate (RC) build or the Windows Home Server 120-day Evaluation edition will be registered as livenode.com domains and will not be transferred over to HomeServer.com. All new domain names registered with the RTM version of Windows Home Server will be using HomeServer.com starting today.

Thanks again to all of the early beta testers!!! Your feedback through the Connect site, Community Forums and Newsgroup throughout the testing of Windows Home Server has been fantastic.
t.

Source: WHS Blog
Software Director

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:26 pm

Thanks for the update JD. I must say the pricing doesn't look too bad at around US$ 200.

Not sure when it will be available here though but I have my one AMD system tagged to run it on as a permanent feature :yesnod:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby egkenny » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:02 am

augie wrote:
Under Microsoft's current plan, it won't be selling Windows Home Server as a standalone software product. Instead, you need to purchase a full-blown server from one of Microsoft's previously mentioned hardware partners.

That is what it says on Microsoft's web site but Bill Gates said something a little different a few months ago.

We'll also have a version of this Home Server SKU available to system builders, so people who put together custom systems even in quite limited volume, this software capability is something that they'll be able to load onto it.

Bill Gates: Windows Hardware Engineering Conference (WinHEC) 2007
May 15, 2007
http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/exec/billg/speeches/2007/05-15-2007WinHEC.mspx
PRO Level 3

Postby shreader » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:08 am

Wayne in the WHS NG just posted:

OK just collected it direct from the Suppliers : Heres whats in the Package.
Software Director

Previous

Return to Alpha / Beta Software