A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Another CSS question

Another CSS question

Postby kanaloa » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:29 am

Now that I have a site to show I can be more clear. As you all know, when you want to put two CSS blocks (divs) next to one another, you must float at least one of them, if not both (if you have more than 2 columns).

In my case I have two columns. A left column for my body content and a right (floated) column for a menu. But I have a problem. If my menu has more information in it than my body, my pages are screwing up bc the floated elements "jump" out of place (bc they are floated) and they fail to push the entire body down properly. See here:
http://www.hawaiianstyletravel.com/BETA ... .php?t=847

On the other hand... as you can see, when I DO have enough in my left column, the body expands as it should and the site works fine.
http://www.hawaiianstyletravel.com/BETA ... .php?t=846

Question is... how can I make sure that the right menu (even if it's longer) pushes the main body down far enough so it doesn't "jump" out of place and over other elements? If I knew the exact height of my menu, then obviously I could just tell the left column to be that height. Problem is, the right menu will be like the tide... it'll ebb and flow. It may be short on one page and long on another.

Any tips for me? I figure this is a "relative" or other tag I'm missing.

Thanks
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby gries818 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:53 am

I can't answer your question, but that site looks AMAZING! ^*^

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Postby kanaloa » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:55 am

Thanks :) I still have much to do, but getting to this point was a big step. This is all based off a phpbb forum believe it or not ;)
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby xxsonyboy4lfexx » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:00 pm

I don't know about the problem but sexy site! Or is it just the big picture.lol
PRO Level 8

Postby kanaloa » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:49 pm

Thanks guys. I actually just found a solution.
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/51 ... 68973.html

I had found a javascript hack for this also, but I dislike using hacks when I don't have to. The above was a simple to implement CSS fix :)
President

Postby kanaloa » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:25 pm

Oh yeah.. just got rid of the Javascript from the rollover images too.

I tell you, CSS can be tough to figure out when you want to do something tricky (even though the roll over was easy), but if there is a will, there is a way.
President

Postby gries818 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:37 pm

kanaloa wrote:I tell you, CSS can be tough to figure out when you want to do something tricky (even though the roll over was easy), but if there is a will, there is a way.

:yesnod:

Usually what gets me is not that I can't figure out how to code it but that I don't really have creativity. LOL, maybe thats why I couldn't answer your question - I've never encountered something like that.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts