A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows Home Server Off To Production

Postby The Phoenix » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:23 am

That was flippin quick, spose it helped building it on Server 2003's code base, nice product for what it is, just a big pity they aint doing it seperate. Wonder if it will be available to MSDN and TechNet subscribers ??
Jamie
ImageImage
PRO Level 15

Postby shreader » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:44 pm

Here is some of the Windows Home Server History from the WHS Blog

-Charlie Kindel, GM, Windows Home Server

Software Director

Postby shreader » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:27 am

Where's the documentation?

Windows Home Server Getting Started Guide

The RTM (Release to Manufacturing) version of the Getting Started Guide has been posted to the download center on the Microsoft web site. Currently, the English version of this guide is available. In the next week or two, French, Spanish and German versions of the Getting Started Guide will get published.

Windows Home Server Reviewer's Guide

The Reviewer's Guide has detailed descriptions about the features and functionality of Windows Home Server.

Windows Home Server SDK Documentation

The final RTM version of the SDK Documentation should get updated later this week on the MSDN site.

t.

Source: Windows Home Server Blog
Software Director

Postby shreader » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:42 pm

WHS Team Photo

Here's a photo of the Windows Home Server team taken at our ship-party last Friday night. CJ did an amazing job of planning the party. Kudos to him.

-cek

WHS Blog
Software Director

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:45 pm

Any idea or hint as to where this OS is going to be available from yet JD?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby shreader » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:23 am

No dates nailed down just a bunch of vague info.
I did see this tho :lol: It appears we'll have to do some waiting for a copy.

"System builder" code, which is partner-speak for the shrink-wrap "OEM version," should be available in approximately two month's time, which is also when a 120-day evaluation copy should also rear its head. French, German and Spanish editions won't be far behind.

Microsoft made a very wise decision when it reversed its position on making WHS available to end users through "system builder" programs last May. As a result, users can obtain Windows Home Server from any number of resellers who will offer the server software in "OEM bundles" with hard drives, motherboards, or even just cables. Microsoft has not yet announced pricing, but this could be a fantastic way to put an old PC to use.
Software Director

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:06 am

shreader wrote:
Microsoft made a very wise decision when it reversed its position on making WHS available to end users through "system builder" programs last May. As a result, users can obtain Windows Home Server from any number of resellers who will offer the server software in "OEM bundles" with hard drives, motherboards, or even just cables. Microsoft has not yet announced pricing, but this could be a fantastic way to put an old PC to use.

That's excellent news ^*^

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby shreader » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:56 pm

(part of the) XP EULA:

The End User License Agreement (EULA) for OEM software, including Windows XP, states that the software is licensed as a single integrated product in connection with the hardware. However, it's important to remember that the end user cannot see nor accept the electronic EULA until the software is installed on a fully-assembled computer system. So, even though the original OEM software unit may have been distributed with a component, like a hard drive, it isn't until the software is installed on a fully-assembled computer system that it becomes "married" to the hardware.

I am hoping that if i buy a OEM copy of WHS, it wont be 'married' permanently to that rig & when i upgrade the hardware i can install WHS again on the newer rig.

I guess we'll have & read the WHS EULA :shocked:
Software Director

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:16 am

I think there will only be OEM versions available. I'm not too phased by OEM licenses generally I must say as the intent is really to ensure non-piracy.

My XP Pro OEM version has served me very well across different systems and activation has never been an issue even when I've had to phone in to activate. Hopefully it's the same scenario with one only needing to ensure it's only on one system at any time.

PROfessional Member

Postby shreader » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:06 pm

OK, Thanks Graham

I have never bought a OEM OS before & was just assuming that it would have the same restrictions as a OEM PC with the OS pre-installed.
Software Director

PreviousNext

Return to Alpha / Beta Software