A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Security Center Pop Ups

Security Center Pop Ups

Postby joeschmoe3240 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:08 am

i was also with my current PC i have had it for 4 years now. I have norton internet security and spysubtract spyware protector. i also have a popup blocker but just recently i have been recieving a lot of pop ups for internet security, malware security, and spyware security. they say i have a virus or spyware infection and that i should fix it now. but this is just an advertisement and when i run my virus protector etc... i am clean and with no viruses. My computer runs smoothly and just as fast as usual with no sign that i have a virus there is no spyware infection either when i run my spysweeper.

also my internet explorer homepage is set as yahoo but instead of taking me there an internet security window pops up and says "W32.Myzor.Fk@yf is a virus that infects .exe extensions. It attempts to steal passwords and private information form infected computers." Its recommendation is to purchase a spyware security program. http://topiesecurity.com/ is automatically set as my homepage. i have tryed to reset yahoo as my homepage but it would not work. i would like to know how to over ride this automatic setting of the security system as my homepage.
PRO Level 2

Postby Fhaar » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:26 pm

I would ignore any pop-ups you get whilst browsing that inform you that you have a virus or trojan. Creating a pop-up saying "You have XXX virus, buy our product" is just a method to scare you into purchasing their product. It just appears to be a pop-up window (or site) trying to coerce you into departing with your money. In some cases these products that claim to remove a virus, which you probably don't have anyway, may actually install further spyware they support.

Personally I would download or purchase another well established anti-spyware software. Some are Search & Destroy, Windows Defender, Lavasoft Ad-Aware amongst plenty of others. Run one and see what the results are. Theres a small tool called HiJackThis that can help with "browser jackings".
PRO Level 2

Postby augie » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:38 pm

Hi Joe, looks like your browser has been already hijacked by this mal-ware you speak about which changed your home page. Give me a bit to research it and I'll post back later.

OK, looks like it's a SmitFraud variant, nasty piece of work. Download SmitFraudFix, this is a standalone application so no installation is needed and follow the instructions. If it doesn't help, there are other ways to deal with this.

Oh, download, install and update SpywareGuard Full 2.2, this will 'lock' your homepage to whatever you want after you clean the crap out and will give you a popup if/when something wants to change it. Woirks very well. The above are free/donationware. Good luck.
Last edited by augie on Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby yeshuas » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:11 pm

Did you run the anti-virus spyware and malware etc. while in safemode and then reboot to change your default homepage?
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby joeschmoe3240 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:48 pm

Thank you for the help with your help and the help of NT50 the problem was eliminated by using Search and Destroy, and NOD32 antivirus system free trial.

i will continue to post if i am infected with any other bugs
PRO Level 2

Postby augie » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:23 pm

joeschmoe3240 wrote:Thank you for the help with your help and the help of NT50 the problem was eliminated by using Search and Destroy, and NOD32 antivirus system free trial.

i will continue to post if i am infected with any other bugs

Ah, so Spybot worked, good for you! ^*^
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Return to Security & Virus