A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual Boot Trouble Shooting Guide / Vista Running

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Dual Boot Trouble Shooting Guide / Vista Running

Postby marcusth » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:35 am

See: Dual Boot Trouble Shooting Guide / Vista Running

can any1 tells me wad do u mean by "select 3 files in question" in step 6
and oso i should paste to where??
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:37 am

marcusth wrote:can any1 tells me wad do u mean by "select 3 files in question" in step 6
and oso i should paste to where??

Boot.ini, ntldr, and NTDETECT are the three files........
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby pitdogs » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:37 pm

I am still having problems:

Here were my defaults:
1. Windows Vista installed in Drive c:
2. HP Back up Manager is installed in Drive d: (disk 0):

Here is what I did afterwards:
1. I installed Windows XP on a another partion (Drive f:) on disk 0
2. I lost the ability to boot to Windows Vista.
3. I installed VistaBoot 3.3
4. I went to the Sytem Bootloader and put a check on the following:
- Windows Vista
- All Drives
- Force Bootloader Install (said I will notice changes when I reboot)
5. I reboot PC and only see "Windows Vista" and "HP Recovery Manager"
6. Next, I copy all three files from the C: drive (Vista drive) into the F: drive (where XP is installed) and rebooted. Still the same options.
7. I opened up boot.ini from Legacy Editor on VistaBoot and it shows the following:
- disk (0) rdisk (0) partition (2)
I don't know if that information is correct........

Note: if I select install Legacy, then I go directly to windows XP
PRO New Member

Postby pitdogs » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:55 pm

I just figured it out....

My biggest problem was that I never had the xp showing up during the boot sequence. so I did the following: Manage OS Entries tab and select
PRO New Member

Postby Dieda2000 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:30 pm

I modified my XP-Vista
setup but couldn't get dualbooting to work.
One Sata-drive, installed Vista on the first primary partition.
Then I activated the third primary partition and installed XP.
By doing so, XP as well as Vista call their systempartition drive C:\.
All Vista bootfiles are in Vistas own partition located,
all XP bootfiles in XPs partition.
In order to boot Vista, the first primary partition has to be activated,
to boot XP, the third primary partition must be activated.

VistaBootPRO v.3.3 Method, as described above, doesn't work.
After selecting XP in Vistas bootscreen, the PC reboots instantly.
Has anybody an idea, whether in this case a dualbooting setup is possible?
PRO New Member

Postby IZZ » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:41 pm

Hi,
I have Vista on partition c:, XP on partition d: on the same phisical drive.
Vista was the 2nd to instal, so that is my "default".
Installed VistaBootPro3.3, followed the above instructions, but still only boots Vista.
I went into disc management and changed d: (XP) to active partition, then it booted XP, no boot menu.
What am I doing wrong? How could I get the bootmanager running?
Thanks,
IZ
PRO Level 2

Postby Ron_Santos » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:36 pm

I modified my XP-Vista
setup but couldn't get dualbooting to work.
One Sata-drive, installed Vista on the first primary partition.
Then I activated the third primary partition and installed XP.
By doing so, XP as well as Vista call their systempartition drive C:\.
All Vista bootfiles are in Vistas own partition located,
all XP bootfiles in XPs partition.
In order to boot Vista, the first primary partition has to be activated,
to boot XP, the third primary partition must be activated.

VistaBootPRO v.3.3 Method, as described above, doesn't work.
After selecting XP in Vistas bootscreen, the PC reboots instantly.
Has anybody an idea, whether in this case a dualbooting setup is possible?

i have the exact problem, i need to fix this :(
PRO New Member

Postby okpeb » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:27 pm

Exact same problem here too... Selecting XP from the boot menu reboots the system. Working on it.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:07 am

Folks, the basic principle is that all the boot system files for both operating system need to be on the drive/partition tagged "System" in Disk Management (right click My Computer or Computer>Manage). The boot system files for Vista are the folder Boot (and contents) and bootmgr and for XP NTDETECT.COM, ntldr and boot.ini. Boot.ini needs to be pointing to the correct drive/partition. It doesn't hurt to have all these files on both operating system root drive/partitions as this has been known to fix the issue for some or other reason.

Once you have those all on the "System" drive/partition you can Install the Vista bootloader from the System Bootloader page of VistaBootPRO, or run Diagnostics from the Diagnostics menu item and then go to the Manage OS Entries page and if the entries there don't look right and don't work when you reboot and test them, then either the boot.ini is incorrect or the drive letter assigned to the entries is incorrect.

Do not change the drive letters in Computer or Disk Management as that will more than likely cause your systme to be unbootable for that OS.

You can also run a Startup repair by booting to the Vista DVD and selecting Repair my computer at the Install now setup screen.

If all else fails then try to rebuild the BCD by running these commands from the command prompt after booting to the Vista DVD and selecting the command prompt at the same place you would run a startup repair:

Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

The /RebuildBcd option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista. Additionally, this option lets you select the installations that you want to add to the BCD store. Use this option when you must completely rebuild the BCD.

Note If rebuilding the BCD does not resolve the startup issue, you can export and delete the BCD, and then run this option again. By doing this, you make sure that the BCD is completely rebuilt. To do this, type the following commands at the command prompt:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby phorum.ws » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:25 pm

okay, thanks for the advice everyone, but i am still not getting it. I have a Vista laptop (installed when i got it - no DVD came with it though), and i have installed Tiny XP Professional, which all works great, and when i installed it always went straight to the XP when i booted up, so i followed the instructions here on the forum about running VistaBootPro and making dualboot , all worked fine, i could see Windows Recovery, Windows Vista (both worked fine), and WIndows Xp Professional, but when i chose XP i got an error saying ntldr cannt be founf and an 0x0000000 error or something, which led me to this topic we are now on!

so i follow the instructions on first post here, login to Vista and do the steps below:
Below is how to locate the ntldr, NTDETECT, and boot.ini while in Vista.

1. Open My Computer
2. Click on "Organize" and then click on "Folder and Search Options"
3. Then click on the "View" tab
4. In the list under "Advanced Settings" you need to find "Hide protected operating system files" and uncheck it and then click "Ok"

5. Once back into My Computer open your XP (or Vista) drive and you will now see more "protected" files
6. Select the three files in question and right click and then select "Copy"

but firstly i was confused how it has (or vista) in like that, so i was not sure wheather i am suppose to goto the vista drive or the XP drive (this is confusing btw)... anyway, so i went to both C:\ (Vista) and D:\ (XP) and i could not see ANY of the above files - ntldr, NTDETECT, and boot.ini

in C or D drive.... what am i doing wrong, i have unprotected the files, allowing protected files to be shown ... where exactly are these files... please help me someone.

and i am confised with the (Vista) in brackets... it says goto XP (Vista) ... which one?

Thanks heaps all. dont know what i am doing wrong here, as it seemed to work fine for all you guys.

thanks.
Helping Is Everything!
PRO New Member

Next

Return to Windows Boot Problems