A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Website in Firefox vs. IE

Website in Firefox vs. IE

Postby Fayt » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:34 am

Well, I've been creating and updating my site through Firefox for a while now, and recently Firefox wasn't working properly (Vista problems, go figure...), so I opened up IE to make a quick fix, and holy crap did it look awful. I provided some comparisons below, and here's to hoping someone can guide me in the right direction.

Firefox:http://www.forestanime.com/images/firefox.jpg
Internet Explorer:http://www.forestanime.com/images/explorer.jpg

I'm happy that I caught it somewhat early so it won't be so hard to update if someone is able to help out. Thank you in advance.
PRO New Member

Postby gries818 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:09 pm

Yeah, I hate IE but they (like it or not) are pretty much the standard. But not actually the standard since browsers like Firefox actually follow the standards. lol

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Postby imnuts » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:14 pm

gries818 wrote:Yeah, I hate IE but they (like it or not) are pretty much the standard. But not actually the standard since browsers like Firefox actually follow the standards. lol

IE7 does better at some things for CSS than Firefox 2 does, and websites usually display properly in IE7, unlike IE6 and earlier versions... I'm actually surprised that it has such an issue with the display compared to FF.
PRO SUPREME

Postby Fayt » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:37 pm

imnuts wrote:
gries818 wrote:Yeah, I hate IE but they (like it or not) are pretty much the standard. But not actually the standard since browsers like Firefox actually follow the standards. lol

IE7 does better at some things for CSS than Firefox 2 does, and websites usually display properly in IE7, unlike IE6 and earlier versions... I'm actually surprised that it has such an issue with the display compared to FF.

Yeah, unless maybe something is wrong with my html, I'm really not too sure. Thanks for the replies though.
PRO New Member

Postby jbullard » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:46 pm

Well when you talk about standards the question comes down to "What is standard?". There are so many CSS hacks out there that it is not funny, basically for all browsers. I wouldn't say that IE does not follow the standards cause there are things that you can do in IE that you can't in others, and vice versa. With all the websites out there and different browsers there definitely needs to be a standard which was/is trying to be developed. But in the end it is almost necessary to find those little things that make a difference and put the conditional tags around that part of the CSS code.

If you want to provide a link to that exact page I am sure we could find out the problem. To me it just looks like one browser interperting something differently whether it is FF or IE. What does it look like in Netscape?
VP - Software

Postby Fayt » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:01 pm

jbullard wrote:Well when you talk about standards the question comes down to "What is standard?". There are so many CSS hacks out there that it is not funny, basically for all browsers. I wouldn't say that IE does not follow the standards cause there are things that you can do in IE that you can't in others, and vice versa. With all the websites out there and different browsers there definitely needs to be a standard which was/is trying to be developed. But in the end it is almost necessary to find those little things that make a difference and put the conditional tags around that part of the CSS code.

If you want to provide a link to that exact page I am sure we could find out the problem. To me it just looks like one browser interperting something differently whether it is FF or IE. What does it look like in Netscape?

The page is usually inside an iframe, but I figured I'd just give you the direct link.
http://www.forestanime.com/episodes/deathnote.html

I was told that in Netscape it looks alright, seems to be just IE that's causing the problems. And again, thanks for the replies and the help, it's really appreciated.

I'll have to check around a little bit to see how the progression has been with the development of the web standard too.
PRO New Member

Postby jbullard » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:40 am

It is your HTML. Here is a snippet of the first table (not really a table at all)

Code: Select all
<center>
   <table width="200" height="100" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
      <tr valign="top" width="100%">
</center>

You can't close a center in the middle of a table like that. Then the tables after that don't have centering, and to tell you the truth there is so much stuff that I see wrong like font tags not closing and no closing tables. What do you normally use to edit your HTML files? I would suggest using a structure like above so you can see the open/closing tags. For each open tag you put the contents in with a tab to format it with open/close. I think that makes sense??
VP - Software

Postby Hughv » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:42 am

There are 104 HTML errors in this document, according to Tidy.
One big problem is the lack of a DOCTYPE declaration, which tells the browser how to interpret the page.
I'd suggest you get a copy of HTML Kit, which is a very good free editor, and includes A TIDY review.
http://www.htmlkit.com/
The lack of consistent browser behavior drives me crazy at times, but it's something we have to live with. Clean up your HTML, and you're much more likely to get consistency across browsers.
"He uses silence like you use words."

Reginald Hill, from the Dalziel and Pascoe series
PRO Level 3

Postby Fayt » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:21 pm

jbullard wrote:It is your HTML. Here is a snippet of the first table (not really a table at all)

Code: Select all
<center>
   <table>
      <tr>
</center>

You can't close a center in the middle of a table like that. Then the tables after that don't have centering, and to tell you the truth there is so much stuff that I see wrong like font tags not closing and no closing tables. What do you normally use to edit your HTML files? I would suggest using a structure like above so you can see the open/closing tags. For each open tag you put the contents in with a tab to format it with open/close. I think that makes sense??

Well I did use dreamweaver to make the site, as my knowledge of html is very limited, so anything in the code basically came out of dreamweaver, with the exception of a few javascript things, as well as the iframe. Other than dreamweaver I haven't used any other html editor, but I'll give the one posted above me a shot. Thanks for the replies guys!
PRO New Member

Postby kanaloa » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:46 pm

Which version of Dreamweaver are you using? If it's one of the CS builds, it's one of the better editors available still.

Overall I would argue that FF is more standards compliant, but there will always be differences between IE, FF, Safari, etc. I usually like to make sure my pages work first in FF (which implies it was coded correct), and then figure out how to make it work in IE. I was pretty much told the same thing at work.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Next

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts