A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

How to restore Vista boot loader ?

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

Postby gries818 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:22 pm

bootsect is a wonder tool when it comes to managing the boot manager.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Postby Wheezle » Sat May 05, 2007 6:46 pm

What exactly is bootsect supposed to do? When I follow these instructions it appears to do nothing at all :(

I'm running from XP. I had to wipe my C drive, and reinstall XP on it. I have an intact installation of Vista Ultimate on my D drive, but can't boot it (no vista bootloader). Anyone know how I can fix this?
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Sun May 06, 2007 4:38 pm

You can use VistaBootPro to restore the boot loader for Vista. If your system drive does not contain the bootmgr and boot folder for Vista, look on the drive D: for the file and folder. You will have to turn off the hide system files and folders.
Look under your Disk Manager under XP and see which is your System/Boot/Primary drive/partition. This should be the location of bootmgr and the Boot folder for Vista to be able to boot.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby NT50 » Sun May 06, 2007 4:41 pm

You could also try the follow below.........

wort4712 wrote:Hello,

i found a solution ... It's much easier...

On the original Microsoft DVD in the "boot" folder there is a program called "bootsect.exe".

run
bootsect.exe /nt60 c:
to restore the Vista bootloader.

run
bootsect.exe /nt52 c:
to restore the XP bootloader.

bootsect.exe /help shows all options .....

Wolfgang
PROfessional Member

Postby Mosharino » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:03 am

Hello all,
i do hope this topic is still actively running.

Ok here is my problem, i installed ubuntu 7.04 out of curiosity, and since found that i want to get rid of it off of my system, including the GRUB thingy.

I've tried many things to restore the Vista Bootloader, including everything mentioned here and more, however had no success. I even have tried the vistabootpro 3.3 program, which tells me that its being successful and that i'll notice the changes next time i reboot. But i don't!!!!

Also while attempting the 'bootsect.exe /nt60 c:' i get access denied error (See attached image) I've tried this both at desktop and hile running the Vista installation CD.

Please can some tell me if i doing something wrong, i've not removed ubuntu yet, read somewhere that i should remove the GRUB thing first.

Thankyou for your time

Tom

PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:49 pm

Try this MS article. You will need to do a /Fixmbr since grub has taken over your master boot record. You will also need to repair others, Like boot to your Vista DVD and do a startup repair.
PROfessional Member

Postby Mosharino » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:13 pm

Thanks for your reply,

i've tried what you suggested, and it worked, thankyou very much. Not heard of the bootrec.exe tool before. But i''l bare it in mind if i need it in the future.

Cheers

Tom
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:40 pm

bootrec.exe is vista :)
PROfessional Member

Previous

Return to PRO Software