A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

How hard is it to make programs? (like c++)

How hard is it to make programs? (like c++)

Postby xxsonyboy4lfexx » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:32 am

Next year I'll be a sophomore and I am able to take this computer programming class. I don't know everything about it but I think I will learn C++. Is it REALLY HARD? I tried to learn it with online tutorials, but I couldn't!! Will it be easy with a teacher? Or at least easier? :eek:
PRO Level 8

Postby jbullard » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:38 am

It is much easier for a lot of people with a techer to explain things. That is the biggest draw back to learning a programming language. For instance, if I went online and starting learning a language it is a lot easier because I already know what structures, enumerations, variables, classes, functions, methods, and all that jazz are. So in the end, I just basically have to learn the language and not the language and what each of those are for.

Intructor guided learning for languages with no experience before is better IMO. C++ is very easy to learn because it is the closest to the original OS language (excluding *nix - it is the language) without getting into low level assemblers.

Just keep it up and don't let it slip after the class cause getting back into it will be even a bigger pain.

HTH
VP - Software

Postby Nativedude » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:40 am

With a teacher it is usually much easier, I'd go for it, even if you don't completely learn it, it will give you a good foundation that you can build on
I had the opportunity to take a coding class in school and didn't, sorta kickin myself now
PRO Level 15

Postby xxsonyboy4lfexx » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:10 am

Well I took it because I REALLY wanna make some programs. I have some ideas but can't start them. I tried using Visual basic but that seems restricted and limited. I also enjoy typing up the code. Like for my website. I like doing that.
PRO Level 8

Postby jbullard » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:12 am

Well, C++ is not limited like VB; however, make sure you learn the old C++ and not the .NET version. There are many differences and the main being you need .NET for Microsoft Visual C++ whereas you don't for previous versions.

Also, it is really the same version, just instead of using API's like CreateFile, ReadFile, and many more it takes that and uses the .NET Framework. You can still use the API calls just like any other language, but it will still rely on the .NET Framework.

I would suggest taking C instead of C++. It is a little more difficult to learn but going from C to C++ is alot easier than back tracking.

Just a thought though.
VP - Software

Postby xxsonyboy4lfexx » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:04 pm

It's up to the school
PRO Level 8

Postby jaelanicu » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:07 am

A little story...
In the old days, I used to love video games. But I slowly became curious on how the games worked. Eventually I started to read on game programming. Having no knowledge of it, I was forced to learn basic of computer programming. Some of them are BASIC (the DOS one), Assembly, Prolog, Pascal and C. While doing so, I found out the power of computer programming beyond games, what I could made beyond my imagination. It made me fastinated and made me a computer programmer.

I do a lot of programming now, although I use Delphi/Pascal instead of C/C++ and left the gaming world.

Based on my experience, your interest on computer programming plays a very important part when you are learning programming. So it doesn't matter whether you are learning with the help of a teacher or by yourself. As long as you still have the motivation, you'll stop at nothing in order to learn more. However, if you lost the motivation, you'll get nowhere even though you have the best teacher, best programming resources and a lot of support to do it.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Jaelani
PRO Level 5

Postby xxsonyboy4lfexx » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:11 pm

What's the difference between Delphi/Pascal and C/C++? And the difference between C, C#, C++??
PRO Level 8

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts