A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Windows Home Server RC1 registration (& more) open now

Windows Home Server RC1 registration (& more) open now

Postby shreader » Thu May 17, 2007 8:01 pm

If you wish to participate in Windows Home Server evaluation program and/or to participate in the Code2Fame Challenge, you
Software Director

Postby Grav!ty » Fri May 18, 2007 2:40 am

This OS is going to satisfy a huge demand and also create a market for home servers. Running a server for the whole family to store their music, videos and other media and data has obvious appeal in my opinion and this is currently only available to techie users and those who are prepared to shell out for a server OS. I'm sure MS will price Windows Home Server so that it is accessible to most.

I look forward to seeing the changes made since the last beta :yesnod:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby shreader » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:17 am

After reading (some of) the WHS public forum it sounds like the RC1 release is going to be pretty soon ^*^

Its not to late to sign-up for the download, if you haven't already & are interested in testing or playing with WHS
Software Director

Postby mnemonicj » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:35 pm

Grav!ty wrote:This OS is going to satisfy a huge demand and also create a market for home servers. Running a server for the whole family to store their music, videos and other media and data has obvious appeal in my opinion and this is currently only available to techie users and those who are prepared to shell out for a server OS. I'm sure MS will price Windows Home Server so that it is accessible to most.

I look forward to seeing the changes made since the last beta :yesnod:

I am still hoping that they will provide some kinda of profile storing (sort of like Active Directory, but much more simple) because people use more than one computer around the house and it would help to have all of your settings there when you log on to a different one than the main.

I think that WSUS compatibility would also be good.
PRO Level 15

Postby yeshuas » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:49 pm

I had the CTP installed for a little while on one of my test machines constantly got out of space messages. Set it up to delete the backups daily and still got low or out of space messages, and it didn't delete the backups as it was suppose to, so I hope the next release fixes that.
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby mnemonicj » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:41 am

I just tested out WSUS tonight, because Windows Home Server is based off of the Server 2003 Small Business Edition, and WSUS 3.0 installed and ran just fine. A couple of things I had to work around:

1. Have to manually change all of the group policy settings of each computer (clients and server) to point to that Intranet website for updates.

2. Windows XP Home edition does not have group policy access through the MMC console so pointing the Windows Updates to be run from the server instead of the Windows server is available (as I know of yet).
PRO Level 15

Return to Alpha / Beta Software