A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

comments on a website I made

Postby jbullard » Wed May 09, 2007 12:55 pm

_Taz_ wrote:hmm.. I thought I had it hidden by using code instead of the actual text.

instead of typing the email in the html I put in
Code: Select all
 sandy@orlandoco
ckers.com

doesn't that hide it from harvester and bots?

Edit by NT50: Carriage return on code box

That is encoded. You shouldn't have problems with it being stolen. Or if you have php you can use:

Code: Select all
function encode_email($email) {
    $encoded = bin2hex($email);
    $encoded = chunk_split($encoded, 2, '%');
    $encoded = '%' . substr($encoded, 0, strlen($encoded) - 1);
    return $encoded;
}
VP - Software

Postby _Taz_ » Wed May 09, 2007 12:59 pm

Thanks Jason, I was looking to find an answer on that. I read some things that said it was protected when done like that but wasn't sure.

Haven't really tried php yet, tinkered a little with cgi/perl but not on that website. just getting started at webpages that are more than just background with text and pictures.
PRO Level 13

Postby Grav!ty » Wed May 09, 2007 2:24 pm

I'm lost with all your coding talk and jargon but this doesn't look protected to me :lol:

Maybe it's protected in coding terms but a simple copy and paste and it's distributed to 10's of thousands of spammers in seconds or am I missing something?

A Contact button like that at the top of this forum on the menu bar is to my mind true protection because the email addy is not visible.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby _Taz_ » Wed May 09, 2007 2:37 pm

well the code protects the email from spambot harvesters because the automated harvesters look for stuff like the @ sign and .com or whatever.

you are right that someone could manually cut and paste it, but I don't think the spammers usually take the time to do it manually.

I am working on an email form also, once I get that working right I'll probably take the other off, but I needed a way for them to be able to contact her.
PRO Level 13

Previous

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts