A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

VistaBootPro doesn't find a letter for XP partition

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

VistaBootPro doesn't find a letter for XP partition

Postby san.salvador » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:29 pm

Hi!

VistaBootPro tells me that it can't find a drive letter for my XP partition. That can be true, because I changed the hdd some days ago and had some troubles copying XP and Vista to the new hdd.

How can I give a letter to my XP partiton?

At the moment I can't run XP and Vista on the same HD.

What do I have to do when VistaBootPro tells to "update the drive"?
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:10 am

Hi san.salvador and welcome to PROnetworks. Go to Disk Management (right click Computer>Manage>Disk Management) and assign a drive letter there, reboot and see what the result is.

If you already have a drive letter assigned in Disk Management, try running diagnostics from the Diagnostics item on the VistaBootPRO menu bar.

Here are a few questions for you that will help us understand your drive structure and setup:

What Windows installation are you running VistaBootPRO from in your screenshots?

What is your drive structure on that system? A screenshot of Disk Management and an indication of what is installed on each drive/partition will also help.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby DirtyHarry3033 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:18 pm

Hi san.salvador I had that exact same problem, after getting Vista installed on another drive and rebooting, I got the Vista boot menu with entries for "Earlier Version of Windows" and "Vista". Could not boot my XP at all.

When I ran VistaBootPro it gave the same error in your screenshot, no drive letter assigned to the XP installation.

As Grav!ty suggested, I checked Disk Management, and C: was assigned as the letter for my XP install.

What I did to fix this was, under Manage OS Entries, I checked Add a new operating system entry, selected the Windows Legacy radio button, assigned Windows XP Pro for OS Name then selected C: for Drive Letter. Then clicked Apply and closed VBP.

When I rebooted, the boot menu had the "bad" XP entry, the new XP entry I'd just created, and the Vista entry. My new entry booted to XP just fine, so I ran VBP again and deleted the bad entry and all is well ^*^

Hope that helps, YMMV

DH
PRO New Member

Postby jbullard » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:04 pm

san.salvador

Another option that you can do is

Manage OS Entries
- Select Frhere Windows Version entry
- Check Rename Selected OS Entry
- Change Boot Drive to the correct drive

After taking another look at the Manage OS Entries page we felt that it was somewhat confusing to some individuals, so in the upcoming Final release we have split all of these options into categories. Make sure to check for updates often.

HTH,
Jason
VP - Software

Postby chenlei » Tue May 08, 2007 3:58 pm

I'm really confused by this soft.i have the same problem. my xp is in d drive, which is a logic partition, with vista in c.if i assign drive d to xp, i can't boot to xp,but when i give c to xp,i can enter xp.hard to understand.
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Tue May 08, 2007 9:23 pm

May be due to XP being on a logical drive. It is not a good idea to install an OS on a logical drive.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Return to PRO Software