A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Critique please: my site with vids of a laptop in the microwave

Critique please: my site with vids of a laptop in the microwave

Postby darkhorizon » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:22 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm new here and I was actually wondering if you guys could critique my website. It is a collection of video's and pictures, but there are two video sections. One for things I have put in the microwave, like a laptop, the other just for random videos of friends. The picture sections include photoshop artwork, and action shots, like taken while I'm stopping and spraying snow in the air while skiing.

Either way, things I am looking for a critique in particular if you could is the layout, content, and if you could see yourself returning for updates, as well as any thing else, feel free to volunteer it.

http://www.imblindfolded.com , thanks
PRO New Member

Postby jbullard » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:51 pm

It is a very well put together site. A couple of suggestions though.

1. Center using a width of no more than 760px or have the site dynamically scale to the users screen.
2. Keep the "New Submissions" context boxes the same size (That goes for each page as well)
3. The photos page needs some help. There is no method to the madness. :lol:
4. Insert a DOCTYPE in before beginning the HTML http://alistapart.com/stories/doctype/
5. Get rid of the Photoshop or Dreamweaver CSS.

Those are just a couple of the things that I noticed right off hand.

HTH,
Jason
VP - Software

Postby imnuts » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:18 am

I'd keep the submissions boxes the same size and center everything on the page.
PRO SUPREME

Postby gries818 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:35 am

I like the layout. It's pretty good, I sure as heck can't do better.

I also love the screen of the laptop while it is cooking in the microwave. Supercool.

Mac OS 10.6.7 - Personal
Ubuntu Server 11.04 - Server
Software Development

Postby darkhorizon » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:05 am

jbullard wrote:1. Center using a width of no more than 760px or have the site dynamically scale to the users screen.
2. Keep the "New Submissions" context boxes the same size (That goes for each page as well)
3. The photos page needs some help. There is no method to the madness. :lol:
4. Insert a DOCTYPE in before beginning the HTML http://alistapart.com/stories/doctype/
5. Get rid of the Photoshop or Dreamweaver CSS.

1) noted, i'll work on that
2) yeah i noticed that myself, its because i set a margin-left property for the legend in the fieldset, so if the text is too long, it extends the size of the cell. it wouldnt let me use margin-right or anything similar so that it would align to right instead of left, thus removing any extending cells. help on this would be appreciated if you know what i mean.
3) the photos page will be removed before this site 'goes live', but thanks, its there now for close friends to look at
4) i just inserted a doctype, thanks
5) what photoshop/dreamwaver css do you mean? because i wrote this entire page by hand in PHP/MySQL, and i did not you any editors

thanks guys! this information helps
PRO New Member

Postby darkhorizon » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:15 am

actually i just removed the doctype, it changes the top bar that says ______________currentpage (near the top of the layout) to green text(im not quite sure why?) and it removes my background in the fieldset/legend. am i doing something wrong?
PRO New Member

Postby jbullard » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:19 am

That is mainly due to the fact that the DOCTYPE will validate your CSS and (X)HTML code. If it is done properly then no changes will occur. Obviously, there are probably some areas of your CSS that need to be changed since you will be using a DOCTYPE.

The CSS looked like a Photoshop output. I would suggest moving it to it's own file and use something like:

Code: Select all
<STYLE TYPE="text/css">
@import url("generic.css")
</STYLE>
VP - Software

Postby darkhorizon » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:46 am

thanks, i just made it an external style sheet (it was object oriented into the page before), and i added the doctype successfully, any other suggestions?
PRO New Member

Return to HTML, CSS, and Scripts