A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Routers and Telnet

Routers and Telnet

Postby nightfire » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:58 am

Well hello everyone!

My new Ubuntu server is working great, and all the backups are working perfectly. Unfortunately, the person i designed it for wants to be able to telnet to it after the fact. Setting up Telnet is easy, but the server is on a network with a Linksys wrt54G. All the other computers that will backup or telnet to it are on the same network. The problem that i'm having, is that telnet requires a static IP address. Unfortunately, this network is set up so that it must be static.

Is there any way around this? Or how could i get the Server to stick with an address?

thanks
(Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Mobo)(AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+)(3.5 GB high speed ram?)(EVGA Geforce 8800GTS)(500 GB and 1 TB Sata Drives)super high speed, 3COM 56k Modem!!
PRO Level 7

Postby ar1stotle » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:03 am

When you say the IP has to be static, do you mean the local IP or the WAN IP? If you're talking about the local IP, you can just manually configure DHCP so that it always gives it the same 192.168.1.xxx. If you're talking about the WAN IP, I don't know if the default Linksys firmware supports this but if you run DD-WRT you can have it update with a hostname from No-IP.com or dyndns.com so that if you use that domain name it will automatically route you to the correct IP address.
PRO BRONZE

Postby Odinn » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:12 am

As ar1stotle said, a DNS hookup would help but why use telnet ? It is very unsecure, i'd convince the person to use SSH.
tasklist /fi status eq not responding
PRO Level 17

Postby trubbleshute » Mon May 07, 2007 9:15 pm

Ditto on Odinn, I don't allow TelNet on my network at all. Plain text passwords, if a switch in your network gets compromised for whatever reason the person can mirror the port and get the password that way via ethereal/tcpdump/ et cetera.

Putty is a great ssh program -- it's what I use and I haven't had any issues.
When all the knives seem to lacerate your brain
I've had my share, so I'll help you with the pain.
PRO Level 2

Postby imnuts » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:16 am

the default Linksys firmware does support this, at least the last time i looked at it I thought it was there.
PRO SUPREME

Return to Security & Virus