A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Unplugged XP Drive for Vista Setup: Can't Dual Boot to XP

Postby Grav!ty » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:52 pm

mr335 wrote:Do I need to open VistaBootPro in Vista or in XP?

If you follow the guide, you need to set your XP drive as the boot drive in your BIOS and then boot into XP to carry out the repair

In my opinion, it's much simpler to solve a problem from XP and to have the boot system files on the XP drive. It doesn't really matter from which OS you do this though

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby grobo » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:51 pm

Grav!ty, you rock!!!!

Seeing my XP partition as a boot option on startup and then watching it bootup was perhaps the most exciting moment I've had since receiving my HP dv9000t w/ Vista. Your instructions for adding the req'd files to the XP folder did it!!!

No more of the hairloss, premature aging or impotency that Vista has caused me through incompatibilities, networking issues or seeing Vista compatible software pricetags.

I can now sit back, relax, and wait for Microsoft to deal with Vista's bug infestation.

Thanks also to VistabootPRO!!! What a sweet utility.
PRO New Member

Postby J P » Thu May 10, 2007 4:26 pm

Great guide, did everything up to the point where I launched VBPro but the problem is I've got the latest version 3.2. When I click on the Bootloader Tab I don't see
"Reinstall the Vista Bootloader"
"Uninstall the Vista Bootloader"

but I'm faced with
"**Choose a system Bootloader to install"
"Windows Vista..."
"Windows Legacy..."
plus
"**System Bootloader install options"
"All Drives"
"System Partition"
"Specific Drive"
and
"Force Bootloader Install"

Which choices do I need to make?

And there are a few extra options on the Manage OS Entries screen aswell.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

JP
PRO New Member

Postby Rafterman » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:14 pm

It seems to me that you have selected the wrong tab(at the top of the VBPro menu. You already have it installed, choose the "Manage OS Entries" and take it from No. 6 on the instructions:

6. Now go to the Manage OS Entries tab and select
PRO New Member

Postby Deadpixel » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:31 am

none of those files exist on any of the hard drives :|
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:21 am

Deadpixel wrote:none of those files exist on any of the hard drives :|

You need to set folder options to show hidden files and folders and also to see protected operating system files.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

YES!

Postby ramman949 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:47 pm

I have been pulling my hair out on this exact issue for 2 days now. Im SO glad I found this thread! Thank you so much for the information to those whom created this. Im going to run home at lunch and see if I can get this done myself.

I will report back!

Thank you so much!

Ramman949
PRO New Member

Postby ramman949 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:16 pm

You guys are awesome! This worked like a charm for me! Finally Dual boot without having to use the BIOS.

One small thing I would like to point out to the OP. The program used has been updated and the titles of the tabs are now different. What it says to click on the how too, isnt what is shown on the new program. I figured it out, but there was one small thing I had to tick in order for the directions to work. I forgot what it was, but if you download and install the new program you might see what Im talking about.

None the less! Thank you SO very much OP!

Ramman949
PRO New Member

Postby Skycatcher » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:50 pm

Wow im am sure glad i found this site, i have been dealing with this issue for about 2 weeks now and all the other online help really didnt apply to the multi-hard drive, already installed OS's. OK but before i try all this i have a couple questions first...(im tired of rebuilding the bootini in XP)

OK, first my setup is two IDE drives on 1 cable both set to CS, Vista as the primary and XP as the secondary....does this make a difference? or do i need to switch it or make 1 a Master and the other Slave.

Also i have a very crappy bios, in the boot order it only lets me choose the primary as a boot option the secondary isnt even listed. and i dont even have a boot order "F" key during startup....This is why im intersted in the hardware setup as I only have the 1 choice and i want to get it right.....all the instrutions on page 1 are straight forward enough and i dont forsee and problems there, i just want to make sure i have to hardware set up right first......thanks
PRO New Member

Postby shreader » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:13 pm

Hi Skycatcher :yesnod:
Welcome to PROnetworks

I use EIDE Hdds too & have never set them to CS, always master/ slave & using the same IDE cable like you w/ the DVD & CDR on the other IDE cable.

My setup is a tad diffrent tho as i partition 1 Hdd & install all the various OSs on it & use the slave for storage.
Software Director

PreviousNext

Return to Guides