A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Can't Dual Boot after reinstall

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Can't Dual Boot after reinstall

Postby Rogwag » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:33 pm

I recently installed Win Vista to my D: partition along with XP originally installed to C: All was fine and the system dual booted. A few days later I had to reinstall my XP with an image made before installing Vista. Now I can't dual boot. The system goes directly into XP. I reinstalled the Vista boot loader and BU to no avail. Any suggestions? I also ran Diagnostics with no success.

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {default}
displayorder {ntldr}
{default}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 10

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {ntldr}
device partition=C:
path \ntldr
description Win XP Home
custom:47000005 301989892

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {default}
device partition=D:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
osdevice partition=D:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {ae720a01-cb90-11db-92f4-9f837319818b}
nx OptIn
custom:47000005 301989892
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:43 pm

Hi and welcome to PROnetworks! I moved your topic here as this issue has more to do with your setup than any bug issues with VistaBootPRO; from what you are saying/describing, I would think this has ALOT to do with your image recovery. Did you recover the image to the same location on the same HDD? Let us know; also post a screenshot of your Disk Mgmt from Vista and explain it for us. Enjoy the site!
PRO PLATINUM

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:33 am

Rogwag wrote:I recently installed Win Vista to my D: partition along with XP originally installed to C: All was fine and the system dual booted. A few days later I had to reinstall my XP with an image made before installing Vista. Now I can't dual boot. The system goes directly into XP.

The files that Vista needs to be able to boot are not included in your XP image. They are the folder Boot and bootmgr.

You can copy bootmgr from your Vista DVD and paste it to the root of your XP drive (not in any folder), but to restore the folder Boot you will need to run Startup repair from the Install Now screen when booting to your Vista DVD, and selecting "Repair my Computer". You will likely have to run that twice as the first time it will be copied to the XP drive and the second time it will be configured. After that you should be able to boot into Windows Vista and XP too.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems