A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

im late in the game, but i got vista xp dual boot issues hope u guys arnt tired of it

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

im late in the game, but i got vista xp dual boot issues hope u guys arnt tired of it

Postby FUNGUS » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:33 am

well im trying to figure all this out in the span of a day since i just tried to multi boot with xp and vista. ok my computer came preinstalled with vista and already partioned so that was couple steps skipped. so naturally i installed windows xp on my d partion. as you know i got stuck on xp and started researching on the net and stumbled on this site. i got the pro boot thing on xp reinstalled the vista boot and thought i just solved the problem when i saw i had a choice. but when i treid to go to xp i get an error messege about unable to boot. after more research i found that u need boot.ini, ntldr, and ntdetect. i browsed the xp cd and i see a bunch of boot files but no boot.ini. i found ntldr and ntdetect so i just put all the boot files on the root of my d partion which has xp on it plus the ntldr and ntdetect. still xp wont boot and get the same error messege which i guess i should post. ntldr is basically the file that is missing or curropted it says. followed by a bunch of 0s. vistabootpro also says that my earlier version of windows hasnt been assigned a drive letter but it is drive D. so now im dont know what to do. here is my screenshot of the driver manager. hope u can make it out imageshack is the only picture hosting that i know of that is quick and easy but its not very clear. if i need to re-do it just let me know of a better place.
PRO New Member

Postby FUNGUS » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:22 am

i guess i found a loophole. heres my status. windows xp is red in vistaboot and i guess its supposed to be blue like vista. under the entries it shows the drive as unknown. but in the drive management if i make xp partion active, when i restart my computer it boots up under xp, and vice versa. so its not necessarly duel booting, but at least its away to access both OSs. sure ill like the convienance of duel booting so plz if u can still provide info that would be great. oh btw i found boot.ini and put it on the root xp partition.
PRO New Member

Postby FUNGUS » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:14 am

heres a screenshot of the vistabootpro
PRO New Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:59 am

The files that you need are in fact inside your XP setup :yesnod:

Can't remember which folder, as I personally use a variant fix, but I'm sure someone here can help.

PS I sure hope that Vista isn't using that hidden EISA partition to store any boot data ... :(
PRO VETERAN

Return to Windows Boot Problems