A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

How to best two partition dual-boot setup?

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

How to best two partition dual-boot setup?

Postby ClickCardo » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:46 pm

I found this problem which would exactly be what I would have as I'm planning on dual-boot XP-Vista where XP was already there. I resized it with Acronis to free space then was planning on using Disk Management to create an extended partition with logical drive for Vista on it.

http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89533

The above user's solution was to wipe out XP and just install Vista. Since I'll want XP around for awhile and by the time I want to remove it Vista will be highly customized with installed programs, etc., then his solution does not work. Also, I need a solution where I do not have to reinstall everything in XP either. I read the Installation Guide and am not comfortable on how to partition my drives for dual boot setup with the above objectives in mind.

So all you experts who quit when that user "resolved" his problem I am issuing the challenge again.

Thanks.
PRO Level 3

Postby yeshuas » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:52 pm

I did not quit LOL at any rate just be sure and it sounds as though you have already done it, is install XP first and then Vista on its own drive or partition. Use XP to create and format the partition for Vista prior to its install
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Windows 8 X64; Windows 7 X64; Windows 7 X86
Intel I5-3570K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
1TB Seagate SATA 6.0Gb HD
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby yeshuas » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:54 pm

I have done this on several machines, actually have one triple booting so to speak with XP Pro; XP Pro 64 and Vista
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby NT50 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:03 am

As many times as I have install the beta versions of Vista and the final release also. I had XP already installed. I use XP to create partitions and format them NOT a third party software. i installed within XP. NO problems. I booted to DVD and installed with dual boot and no problems. People run into problems for several reasons but some are not the same. I'm knocking on wood right now, I have never had a problem with installing and dual booting.
I take my time and read and just get it done.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby ClickCardo » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:00 pm

So I guess I hear no naysayers for using Acronis to free up the space as long as I use XP to create the extended partition / logical drive and format it. I know it worked for Beta 2 and RC1 in my limited use of them.

I hope my understanding of your comments are correct.

Thanks.
PRO Level 3

Postby yeshuas » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:11 pm

You may want to check out this post ............

http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89739
Game Over!!!!!!!!
ASUS Maximus V Gene MB
Intel I5-3570K
eVGA GeForce GTX 550 TI
Corsair GS700 PS
Thermaltake Case
Software Development

Postby ClickCardo » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:59 pm

I installed after resizing with Acronis and everything went pretty well so far regarding disk usage. Just been on several hours so far, but no problems as for that.

In an other thread I posted about SATA controller problem with my ASUS A8V Deluxe motherboard which I hope will get addressed there.

Thanks everybody and I'll post here again if any problems crop up in this regard.
PRO Level 3

Return to Windows Boot Problems