A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual booting XP/Vista not using Vista boot menu

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

dual boot - issues and on resolve

Postby psymonjoseph » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:56 am

Hello, i am new here, and just wished to add how i boot both xp and vista.
It may seem to others to be too much work, but i installed each operating system on their own hard drive, and then i select in my bios from hard drive to boot. Of course this option depends entirely upon having more than one hard drive, your motherboard options, and the time you wish to place on the objective. I simply did not wish to mess around with vista's new boot program, as i found little in the way of help on the subject on the net. This way in no way requires anything more than selecting the hard drive from which to boot BEFORE installing the operating system, the installation process, then selecting in the bios. Any thoughts or recommendations would be sincerely appreciated.
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:59 am

Hi and welcome to PROnetworks! We're glad you got it working for you; I only wish you would have come here for some assistance. Using the Vista Boot menu is not at all complicated provided you set your system up properly, and even if you don't, most fixes are fairly simple to employ. If you'd like to use the Vista boot menu instead of going through the extra delay of selecting the boot device, let us know and enjoy the site!
PRO PLATINUM

reply on dual booting

Postby psymonjoseph » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:27 pm

thank you the reply! i do not think i explained as well as i should have, as since i had xp already installed on one hard drive, i set the bios to boot from the second hard drive for installation of vista, then after installation, set the bios to boot from the first hard drive again, the one with xp, as it was the first hard drive in the order my bios percieved them. this partition also had both boot configurations, so setting my computer to boot from this hard drive immediately allowed me to choose from 'vista' or 'earlier microsoft operating system' or it states something along these lines. basically, putting xp on first, vista had to configure itself, just as if you installed 2 copies of xp.
i therefore experience no delay in selecting the boot device, i simply have the same boot screen it seems that everyone was shooting for. i must confess, i wish i knew how to do it manually, so if a link is available, please,please pass it on to me. thank you very much for your time
PRO New Member

Re: reply on dual booting

Postby augie » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:15 pm

psymonjoseph wrote:thank you the reply! i do not think i explained as well as i should have, as since i had xp already installed on one hard drive, i set the bios to boot from the second hard drive for installation of vista, then after installation, set the bios to boot from the first hard drive again, the one with xp, as it was the first hard drive in the order my bios percieved them. this partition also had both boot configurations, so setting my computer to boot from this hard drive immediately allowed me to choose from 'vista' or 'earlier microsoft operating system' or it states something along these lines. basically, putting xp on first, vista had to configure itself, just as if you installed 2 copies of xp.
i therefore experience no delay in selecting the boot device, i simply have the same boot screen it seems that everyone was shooting for. i must confess, i wish i knew how to do it manually, so if a link is available, please,please pass it on to me. thank you very much for your time

I'm curious, does your boot screen look like this? Oh, sorry for the flash. :oops:

Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

re: I'm curious, does your boot screen look like this?

Postby psymonjoseph » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:37 am

in response, yes that is the same as my own. However, I have an interesting problem with both operating systems (vista and mce): now i have lost some of my taskbar and startbar capabilities, and although i have all of my media ( pics, music, etc.) on seperate partitions, neither mce nor vista allow me to access my media folders ( i have these set up to access these partitions when accessing 'my music' and 'my pictures' instead of default folders), and although i can access these partitions from 'my computer', it seems that i have no control over this problem.....interesting. now i am not a newbie by any means, but i am at a loss. i cannot seem to find any correlation in my registry either, and i do know my way around the registry. Any suggestions?
PRO New Member

re - re: I'm curious, does your boot screen look like this?

Postby psymonjoseph » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:05 pm

Boy, I feel silly! in my haste and excitement, i forgot that i can easily re-assign 'my pictures' , 'my music' etc simply by going to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders!! Duh!! Anyone else having this problem, please just go here and re-assign your folders! Simple!
PRO New Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems