A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

How do I get rid of my XP partition on my dual-boot system?

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

How do I get rid of my XP partition on my dual-boot system?

Postby jkelley063 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:47 pm

I partitioned my 150 GB drive into two 75 gb partitions. I've been dual-booting, but now want to delete my XP partition altogether. VistaBootPro 3.1 shows the windows boot manager in the XP partition and I deleted the "Previous Windows Versions" from the Manage OS Entries. The machine boots directly to Vista now without the options to boot to XP, but I'm wondering if deleting the XP partition will leave me in an un-bootable state.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:18 am

Hi jkelley063 and welcome to PROnetworks. You can delete the XP partition and then run "Startup repair" by booting to the Vista DVD and selecting "Repair my computer" at the bottom left of the "Install now" screen.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Half-way there, but can't extend to un-allocated disk space.

Postby jkelley063 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:42 pm

Did the repair and that got me booting. I deleted the XP volume and disk manager shows the space as unallocated. Vista won't let me extend the boot volume (C) to use the unallocated space. Tried the MMI and the command line versions. Since XP was there first and consequently on the "front" sectors of the disk, is that why Vista won't let me extend?
PRO New Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:40 pm

That's expected behaviour --- If you really want Vista up front on the drive, then do a full backup in the Easy Transfer tool to a third location (network, DVDs, separate partition / hard drive, wherever).

Then boot from the Vista DVD, and delete the current Vista partition.

Then install a fresh copy, creating the desired partition, then click on the backup file to restore your current copy ;)
PRO VETERAN

Return to Windows Boot Problems