A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista or XP will not boot after installing Ubuntu Linux?

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Vista or XP will not boot after installing Ubuntu Linux?

Postby ksyed0 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:18 pm

Hi all:

Strange problem. I have an Asus A8Js laptop. Core2Duo 7200, 2GB RAM, 100 GB HD. By default, comes with XP Pro. I'm an MSDN subscriber, so I deleted my XP partition, and installed Vista 32bit. Worked fine.

I wanted to try Linux, so I downloaded and burned Ubuntu 6.10 ("Edgy"?).

I booted from the Ubuntu CD, and resized my NTFS partition, and created a linux reiserfs partition (as a primary partition), and a swap partition (as a primary partition? not sure). I installed Ubuntu, rebooted, and finished configuring Linux (panel, etc). Works well. I set up my Vista partition to automount, and I am able to browse it just fine from Linux, can access files (readonly) just fine.

However, when I try to boot back to Vista, it no longer works. From the Grub bootloader, I can choose the Vista bootloader, and it boots up to the moving green lines (Vista boot screen), then HD stops, and the lines keep moving. I've tried booting in safe mode, no go, it stops at a certain point (sorry, can't remember where).

Here's the weird part - I tried booting from my Vista DVD, and the same thing happens. Strange, so I booted from my XP install CD, and it locks up too now! I'm not sure what the problem is here - I thought the NTFS partition might be "dirty", but I can't run a chkdsk without being able to boot some version of XP or Vista!

Any ideas?

Just to clarify...I can still boot into Linux just fine, and still access all of my data on the NTFS partition...

MKS
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:43 pm

Hi and welcome to PROnetworks! Installing Linux after Windows is the preferred way to dual/multi boot Windows with Linux; What you have to do now is edit your GRUB to add an "entry point" to Vista (The HD0,1 or whatever it is) on one of the menu lines. Check out our Linux section and see the guide; enjoy the site!
PRO PLATINUM

Return to Windows Boot Problems