A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Where's the SATA driver for the ASUS A8V Deluxe. (SOLVED)

Where's the SATA driver for the ASUS A8V Deluxe. (SOLVED)

Postby ClickCardo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:33 pm

I'm preparing to buy Vista x86 Home Premium OEM and this forum has been quite the find for me.

I have an older ASUS A8V-Deluxe motherboard with 2 SATA controllers that I use. The main is a VIA VT8237 RAID that I have non-RAID drivers for I believe cuz I do not have RAID. I also use the Promise PDC20378 RAID controller (Promise 378) that I have to specifically set to non-RAID mode in the BIOS. I have XP drivers for each, but do not see any Vista drivers for this board on the ASUS support site. What do I use? Are they automatically loaded from the Vista install disk? For XP I have to put them on a floppy and hit F6 right off the bat.

Any help appreciated.
Last edited by ClickCardo on Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PRO Level 3

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:31 pm

My MSI mother board uses the same VIA sata drivers that require pressing F6 as part of the Windows XP install. Vista Ultimate install them without doing anything, NO Pressing F6. I hope that helps. The Via drivers that I used to need were the same as yours VIA VT8237
Born Feb 2004
AMD 64 3000+ 220 FSB
MSI K8T Neo FIS2R BIOS v1.4
PNY 7900GS 512mg
26 inch; Samsung HD LCD
Dual PNY 1GIG DDR - 2 GIG
Thermaltake Silent Boost K8 27-38 degrees
Connect X 600W Flex Force PS
+5-32A -3.3-26A +12-35A
3 Seagate Baracuda 2x80gig 1x250gig SATA HDD
NetGear Wireless WR614 802.11g
LiteOn 8x DVD+/-R, LitOn CD-RW DVD, LitOn DVD-DL, Floppy
Logtech Z-640 5.1
Dual Boot XP32 & Vista32 Ultimate
PRO Level 2

Postby mowerman90 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:19 am

You won't need any of the drivers for your Asus A8V Deluxe MB. I loaded Vista Business successfully onto that MB without pressing F6 and everything worked fine
Vista Business Edition
BioStar 6100 M9
AMD Athlon64x2 4200
3 Gigs DDR400
250 Gig SATA System Drive
320 Gig SATA Data and Backup Drive
PRO Level 3

Postby NT50 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:17 am

Vista installed seemless on a MB that I have for testing with the VIA RAID. Drivers load no problem. BUT the RAID does not work at all. I can not get RAID 0 nor RAID 1 to work with the default drivers. The only way I got VISTA to see a RAID on this MB was to install XP and upgrade to Vista..

I have a Promise card also and I'm glad you mention this. I will try this weekend to install it on my Vista test machine, I only have a few days left on activation.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby ClickCardo » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:48 pm

Thanks everybody for your encouragement, but I feel I still do not have my definitive answers yet.

I have only TWO drives and I DO NOT want RAID.

I setup my pc to have 1 hdd on the via so I would not have to worry about RAID. I setup 1 hdd on the Promise in SATA IDE mode so I would not have to worry about RAID. This has worked just as I want.

I have read on the ASUS forum and elsewhere that there are no Promise SATA IDE drivers and none to come.

So mowerman, nt50 and everybody else are you SURE I can install Vista using ONE hdd ONLY on each controller without needing drivers on a disk?

If not do I have to move the 1 Promise drive to the VIA controller and if so how do I NOT make it a RAID setup? Also, please be sure to include in this explanation if I need to install drivers during installation and where I can find them.

Excuse my denseness but I really want to be sure before trying an install.

Thanks again.
PRO Level 3

Postby NT50 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:00 am

I am not sure about the Promise drivers. As I have said, I have a Promise card but have not installed it yet. As for the VIA you will have no problems as long as you do not run RAID.

Now if you can not find the promise drivers just plug your drives in on the motherboard and don't worry about RAID. RAID will not setup unless you tell it to.

I have 8 sata connections on my MD and will have 5 sata hard drives in soon and all without a RAID if that is what i want.

You setup RAID when the computer boots and you enter the RAID setup menu.
PROfessional Member

Postby ClickCardo » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:42 am

NT50, are you sure you have an ASUS A8V Deluxe MB (MD?)? Because it has ONLY FOUR SATA connectors so since you do not say you have an additional controller card I do not see how you get 8. Also, if you knew the Promise controller on that MB you would know you use the BIOS to put it into non-RAID mode so you aren't even prompted at startup for it. So are you sure you are talking about the ASUS A8V Deluxe motherboard and it's 2 controllers each having 2 SATA connectors?

Just want to make sure we are on the same page.

Thanks.
PRO Level 3

Postby Bilbo Baggins » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:03 am

On my MSI motherboard I have four SATA connectors. 2 are promise and 2 are Via, I have never used the Promis connections. My 2 HDD are not set up for Raid, you have to tell it to set that up, if you don't it will not.
Born Feb 2004
AMD 64 3000+ 220 FSB
MSI K8T Neo FIS2R BIOS v1.4
PNY 7900GS 512mg
26 inch; Samsung HD LCD
Dual PNY 1GIG DDR - 2 GIG
Thermaltake Silent Boost K8 27-38 degrees
Connect X 600W Flex Force PS
+5-32A -3.3-26A +12-35A
3 Seagate Baracuda 2x80gig 1x250gig SATA HDD
NetGear Wireless WR614 802.11g
LiteOn 8x DVD+/-R, LitOn CD-RW DVD, LitOn DVD-DL, Floppy
Logtech Z-640 5.1
Dual Boot XP32 & Vista32 Ultimate
PRO Level 2

Postby NT50 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:51 am

ClickCardo wrote:NT50, are you sure you have an ASUS A8V Deluxe MB (MD?)? Because it has ONLY FOUR SATA connectors so since you do not say you have an additional controller card I do not see how you get 8. Also, if you knew the Promise controller on that MB you would know you use the BIOS to put it into non-RAID mode so you aren't even prompted at startup for it. So are you sure you are talking about the ASUS A8V Deluxe motherboard and it's 2 controllers each having 2 SATA connectors?

Just want to make sure we are on the same page.

Thanks.

I have two different boards with different controllers:

1. ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe that has 8 connections (nVidia and Silicone).

2. PCCHIPS board that has the VIA RAID chipset

3. The PROMISE controller I have is a PCI addon card for RAID 0/1

I will be installing sometime in the next month Vista Home Premium on the PCChips board with VIA but I will not be running it in RAID.

I have already installed Longhorn Server beta, XP Pro, upgraded to Vista, install Vista Ultimate, CLean. Before I install VHP, I will be playing with Home Server beta (maybe if time allows).
PROfessional Member

Postby intellix » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:55 am

I have a A8V motherboard, my brother has a deluxe, basically the same.

I have vista installed on the A8V that uses one of the RAID sata connections and another hard drive with IDE. Works fine without aanything needed. Im 100% certain you wont need to mess about with the installation of your drives.
Dominic Watson - Intellix
PRO Level 3

Next

Return to General Windows Support