A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Problems with boot.ini on my XP drive and Vista drive

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Problems with boot.ini on my XP drive and Vista drive

Postby dave1980 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:18 am

well its 4:12 am and i finally got back into vista thank goodness for the vista cd and its tools. I was able to edit the boot.ini file from the cd, and had some problems with the boot.ini files on my xp drive and vista drive. I too was able to get into vista by leaving the boot.ini file the way it is on the xp drive, and changing my boot.ini file on vista to multi(2) disk(2).

I have 3 drives
i gotta get you guys some screenshots.

The problem i'm having is that its not letting me into xp now. i get this message.

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware
Please check windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your
Hardware reference manuals for additional information.
PRO New Member

Postby dave1980 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:47 am

ok here you go

sorry the pic is so big (resized by Grav!ty)

Here is my boot.ini file in vista c: drive

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(2)disk(2)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(2)disk(2)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

And here it is in xp C: drive

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:20 pm

Welcome to PROnetworks dave1980. Which drive to you have XP installed on and which drive holds Vista?

NTDETECT.COM, ntldr and your boot.ini should all be on the System drive which is drive C. The boot.ini doesn't look right to me.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby dave1980 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:59 pm

Grav!ty wrote:Welcome to PROnetworks dave1980. Which drive to you have XP installed on and which drive holds Vista?

NTDETECT.COM, ntldr and your boot.ini should all be on the System drive which is drive C. The boot.ini doesn't look right to me.

well the only way i was able to at least boot into vista was by putting 2's in the boot.ini of the vista c:drive.

C:\ Drive has vista
D:\ Drive is a backup blank drive
G:\ Drive is my original XP drive.

in the bios i have my G:\ drive booting up first then my vista then my spare.

Here are more images for you they may help.

PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:29 pm

As far as I can make out, the boot.ini file that sits on your Vista drive should be as below and the boot.ini that sits on your XP drive is irrelevant:

boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Try that and see how you go.

I've split your post to it's own thread so you get more attention than in the one already marked "Resolved".

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby kd1966 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:45 pm

Right, the existing boot.ini on the XP drive indicates where XP 'USED" to be........ disk/partition wise......

Could also replace the boot.ini file currently on XP with the correct one on the Vista root........ I'm guessing this is another of those "Installed XP after Vista", or actually looking a bit closer it appears to be "Removed XP drive; installed Vista; Replaced XP drive in different location (Logically speaking) on the system
PRO PLATINUM

Postby dave1980 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:49 pm

kd1966 wrote:Right, the existing boot.ini on the XP drive indicates where XP 'USED" to be........ disk/partition wise......

Could also replace the boot.ini file currently on XP with the correct one on the Vista root........ I'm guessing this is another of those "Installed XP after Vista", or actually looking a bit closer it appears to be "Removed XP drive; installed Vista; Replaced XP drive in different location (Logically speaking) on the system

Yea i unplugged my xp drive, installed vista on its own drive and plugged my xp drive back in.

let me try the boot.ini change and i'll let you know.
PRO New Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems