A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Remove entry from Vista Windows Boot Manager

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Remove entry from Vista Windows Boot Manager

Postby zsaleem » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:22 am

Hi:

When I reboot my pc I see 2 entries in the Windows Boot Manager i.e. 1 Vista and 2 the installation for Win XP. The default entry is set to #2 for the installation of Win XP which requires the Win XP service pack 2 CD. There is 30 sec time out before it boots the pc into the installation of Win XP which is not what I want.

I always have to quicky change the boot sequence to Vista by using the up arrow key and then press enter.

Question: The #2 option does not appear in VistaBootPro and I also do not see it inside Vista i.e. control panel / system / advanced setting for boot sequence. I would like to remove the option #2 from the windows boot manager so it always boots into Vista.

Please inform how can I accomplish this using your software?

Thank you and regards.
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:32 am

**Moved here by me**

Hi and welcome to PROnetworks! This topic was moved due to its relevance to Windows Vista and not necessarily an issue with VistaBootPRO

That being said, please tell us more about your dual boot setup; ie..... how were the OS's installed (What order, Vista 1st or XP 1st?) and please also post a screenshot of your disk mgmt console from Vista or possibly XP. Is your HDD setup a single physical drive or more? IDE/SATA only or a mixture of IDE and SATA hdd's??
PRO PLATINUM

Postby zsaleem » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:43 am

thank you for getting back.

The first OS was XP pro and I performed an upgrade to Vista Ultimate ed. There is only one hard drive i.e. IDE.
PRO New Member

Postby augie » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:00 am

zsaleem wrote:thank you for getting back.

The first OS was XP pro and I performed an upgrade to Vista Ultimate ed. There is only one hard drive i.e. IDE.

If you just want to get rid of XP just go to the bootloader button and do it. I may have missed something in your post so wait for confirmation.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby zsaleem » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:18 am

Thanks I will wait for your reply.

I just want to remove the XP installation from the windows boot manager option. Its too bad that this option does not show up in Vista or the bcdedit or your application vistabootpro. Somehow it is the part of the boot sequence option.

Someone at my work also mentioned to try a Linux utility to boot from a floopy and then try to see if i can delete the XP boot option. Note that the XP option is only to (continue) to install XP not boot into XP.

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Cheers
PRO New Member

Postby The Phoenix » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:31 am

ah, its because you have not completed XP Setup, thats different, it's a not a physical entry or anything. The question is how do we get rid of it, I have never come across this as have not left an XP unfinished but I do understand what you mean.
Jamie
ImageImage
PRO Level 15

Postby kd1966 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:32 pm

Unfinished XP setups are located in a directory under root; they begin with $win or something like that. I have found that if you remove that directory, it will no longer attempt to complete the XP setup. There may be a better way, but not that I'm aware of
PRO PLATINUM

Return to Windows Boot Problems