A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Another dual boot question

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Another dual boot question

Postby davidc2478 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:14 pm

Hey peeps , I just bought a new pc today, it comes with vista home premium. I have an 80 GB HD from my old PC with XP installed that I want to add to my new system. ( mainly because of compatibility issues of programs). I want to be able to dual boot. Anyone have some suggestions as to do this. I'm sorry I'm still new at this. :no
If I install the old HD to the new system will vista recognize it and give me the dual boot option? I appreciate any help! :roleeyes
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:12 pm

Welcome to PROnet David, drop by our Introduction Area for a warm welcome.

Now for the issue. You and another are wanting to do this. The irony of two post on same day of similar issue :)

Anyway try this guide: Unplugged XP Drive for Vista Setup: Can't Dual Boot to XP

Hopefully this will work for you. Also keep in mind when mixing Sata drives and IDE drives there have been issues with this.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby davidc2478 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:55 pm

Oh man, thanks so much! I will give it a try tonight! I haven't even started up the new PC yet. I'll probably let it run through the first time around and then through in the second HD. Now I have to research sata and IDE problems just in case. :eek:
PRO New Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems