A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Make disk/partition active before installing XP on Vista System?

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Postby raydagg » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:58 pm

Thanks for a fine article.

You say "Install Windows XP
Once you have completed the preparation, you can now insert your Windows XP setup disc and restart your system again to boot from your XP CD and install Windows XP in the normal manner."

My question is - do I need to "Mark the new partition as Active" in Disk Management before doing this? (I tried without and XP install just hangs up)
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:42 am

raydagg wrote:
My question is - do I need to "Mark the new partition as Active" in Disk Management before doing this? (I tried without and XP install just hangs up)

You shouldn't need to mark the drive/partition as active. By default your system drive/partition is flagged as active and the other partitions do not need to be. Check in Disk Management and you will see that the drive marked System is already set as Active. When you right click the partitions space the ability to set it as Active should be grayed out, meaning it is already set as Active.

If you are experiencing problems getting XP installed, I'd suggest you start a new discussion thread as their could be other issues preventing installation of XP.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems