A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista & XP Access To Shared Data Partition (Resolved)

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Vista & XP Access To Shared Data Partition (Resolved)

Postby Dubinvero » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:32 pm

I have Vista and XP installed as independent OS's on two partitions of my C drive. I have a third empty partition on the C drive which I hope to use as a shared data partition for Vista and XP.

At present all of my data files are on the XP partition. I have not been able to find any guidance on how to transfer data files to a new partition and allow access from both XP and Vista.

I would appreciate any feedback on how set up this shared data partition.

Derek

Edited by NT50: Changed Subject Line
PRO Level 2

Postby NT50 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:10 pm

Edit:

I got curious an ddecide to look into something. I'm assuming several things here.

You should be able to access the partition in Vista create folders and files, access XP files and folders and delete XP files and folders. (If not change the permissions/access for that partition to everyone full control)
You should be able to boot in XP and do the same also delete the folders and files created in Vista. (IF not change the permissions/access for that partition to everyone full control)

One get get the correct permissions set then you can create the document folders etc on the data partition.

You can then redirect the Vista documents to the partiton by right click on documents folder in Vista menu, click properties, click location tab and click find target or move to the new location. Do so for pictures and etc.

For XP you can right click on My Document in the start menu, click properties, click find target, or click move. Do the same for pictures and etc.

This should allow you to treat that as My Documents in both Vista and XP.

Hopefully this answered your question.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby Dubinvero » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:27 am

NT50,

Thanks for your recommendation. I will try it tomorrow and post my results.

Derek
PRO Level 2

Postby JabbaPapa » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:45 pm

Woh !

If you have XP installed correctly, there is a far easier solution :

Right-click on "My Documents", select Properties, then choose the location option (can't remember exactly what it's called).

It should let you move your entire "My Documents" folder to the desired data partition (provided it exists and is correctly formatted).

Then boot into Vista, and point your Documents, Pictures, and Music links to the proper locations on Data ^*^
PRO VETERAN

Postby NT50 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:40 pm

JabbaPapa wrote:Woh !

If you have XP installed correctly, there is a far easier solution :

Right-click on "My Documents", select Properties, then choose the location option (can't remember exactly what it's called).

It should let you move your entire "My Documents" folder to the desired data partition (provided it exists and is correctly formatted).

Then boot into Vista, and point your Documents, Pictures, and Music links to the proper locations on Data ^*^

There is a "Move" button :) both XP and vista
PROfessional Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:59 pm

Sure, but the one in XP is more powerful ;)
PRO VETERAN

Postby NT50 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:11 pm

JabbaPapa wrote:Sure, but the one in XP is more powerful ;)

Explain powerful

Im eager to learn :drool:
PROfessional Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:23 pm

hehehe --- it transfers ALL of your personal data at once, instead of the Vista version which requires that you move each data store separately :roleeyes
PRO VETERAN

Postby Dubinvero » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:41 am

Thank you both for your feedback. I found the following Microsoft article:

Article ID : 310147
Last Review : January 31, 2007
Revision : 2.1

This gives detailed guidelines how to "Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder" for Windows XP. I used a similar method for Vista.
I now have dual access to a data partition.

I am using the independent multiboot arrangement to evolve to Vista over time. I tried the upgrade route but had too many problems. I imported my legacy XP Outlook Express folders into Windows Mail. I used a third party bookmark manager (LinkStash) to import and organize my long list of Favorites. With my current arrangement I can now independently do backup images of three smaller partitions and only have to restore the one that has a serious problem.

Derek
PRO Level 2

Return to Windows Boot Problems