A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Can you triple boot 2 XP and one Vista partitions (Resolved)

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Can you triple boot 2 XP and one Vista partitions (Resolved)

Postby dsteele1 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:23 pm

Hi... I'm trying to get 2 XP partitions (one's clean for gaming) and a new added Vista partion to triple boot using VistaBootPro. I have all partitions primary and visable. I've gotten my Main XP OS and Vista OS to dual boot but I can't get VistaBootPro to add the other GAMER XP partition. :no

The added GAMER XP OS shows up in the boot manager menu on startup but it boots to my MAIN XP partition.

Any ideas???? :confused

Thanks!

[color=red]Edited by NT50: Change Subject line
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:05 pm

Hi and welcome to PROnetworks! To answer your question.... yes, you can. What the Vista boot manager does is provide an "Entry Point" to the older versions of Windows (XP, 2000, 9x........) So as long as your boot.ini file correctly lists both your XP installations, what "SHOULD" occur when you select "Older Windows OS's" selection from the Vista boot menu, you will be taken to your boot.ini file which will allow you to pick which XP you want to load.
PRO PLATINUM

Postby augie » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:06 pm

I assume that you installed the gamer XP after Vista? I've had as many as five installs of XP/Vista x86/x64. The main thing to remember is to load XP first and then Vista. I'm pretty sure there is a way around reinstalling, just wait for an expert.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby dsteele1 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:47 pm

Actually I had the two XP partitions dual booting before I added the Vista partition. The Gamer partition was hidden as I thought only one primary OS partition was allowed to be visable to run XP. Not so I guess as I "unhid" all three partitions to see if that would fix my problem and XP MAIN boots fine.

It sounds like I need to add the Gamer XP partition to the boot.ini file. Do I need to add the second partition info to both XP Main and XP Gamer? :confused

Thanks for the help guys...

;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition STUDIO" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /USEPMTIMER
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition GAMER" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /USEPMTIMER :confused
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:20 pm

If that's your boot.ini then at first glance it appears fine; can you give us a screen shot of your disk mgmt console, preferably from your System partition (Your 1st installed XP partition)
PRO PLATINUM

Got it to work!!!!

Postby dsteele1 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:08 am

^*^ ^*^ Your message that VistaBootPro answered everything. I thought you added OS's to the Main list. Not so I found out. The other menu heading of "Other OS's" is correct as it brings up another boot menu for your other (XP in my case) OS partitions. I edited the XP Main boot.ini file as shown above but not the Gamer XP boot.ini and it worked!!!! I can boot to Vista, XP Main or Gamer XP. Great program you guys have by the way!

How do you add screenshots????
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:14 am

Glad you got it working! To post a screenshot here, you need an image hosting site like photobucket or Walagata. You upload your pictures to the hosting site, then copy the URL to your hosted photo/picture/image and post it here
PRO PLATINUM

Return to Windows Boot Problems