A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual boot (Vista is installed first then XP)

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Dual boot (Vista is installed first then XP)

Postby ViceT » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:30 pm

Hi all,
I have installed Vista Ultimate on my machine. Now I need to install another OS (e.g. XP) on the 2nd partition of my harddrive and was wondering if there is a way to do that with VistaBOOTPro. I'd appreciate any information on this topic.

ViceT
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:48 pm

Hi and welcome to PROnetworks! I moved your topic here, as where it was posted is an area reserved for issues with our VistaBootPRO program.
To answer your question; you CAN install XP after Vista, but initially will lose the ability to dual boot Vista. The fix is to install and run VistaBootPRO 3.1 on XP (You'll need .NET 2.0) and simply reinstall the Vista bootloader.

EDIT: This azzumes you have some empty space that XP can create/format a partition. I wouldn't recommend using Vista to create/format the XP partition, as the NTFS versions are different.
PRO PLATINUM

Return to Windows Boot Problems