A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Unplugged XP Drive for Vista Setup: Can't Dual Boot to XP

Postby NT50 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:46 am

Chuft wrote:Tought I had it working for a minute, but when i tried to boot to XP it told me it was missing ntldr, and wanted me to put in my XP installation cd t repair.

Snapshot of you Disk Manager please.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby Chuft » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:50 am

Time to show my ignorance again. How do I get you a snap shot of that, and it'll be from the Vista OS of course?
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:07 am

Chuft wrote:Time to show my ignorance again. How do I get you a snap shot of that, and it'll be from the Vista OS of course?

Chuft, you can copy ntldr from your XP CD and paste it to your system drive.

To take a screenshot of disk management, press Alt and Prt Sc keys and then open Paint at Start>Programs>Accessories and select Edit>Paste from the menu bar. Then save the screen as .jpg or .png and use www.imageshack.us to upload the image and copy one of the THUMBNAIL url's from the imageshack browser page and paste it here

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Chuft » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:13 am

Lordy, this is a lot for a noob like me.

Strange thing is when I look in the XP drive ntldr is there.

PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:45 am

Try copying ntldr to your other partition (C: drive or maybe even D: drive) as well and see if that helps. It won't do any harm there and maybe that is where it's being looked for, for some or other reason.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Chuft » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:51 am

That seems to have done it. I want to thank you guys. I've tried several websites over the last few weeks, and a few different programs to get this to work. This site delivers. Thank you!!
PRO Level 2

Postby The Phoenix » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:49 am

Glad to see PROnetworks could help you.
Jamie
ImageImage
PRO Level 15

Postby Hapkido » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:37 pm

Okay.... I can now boot into both XP and Vista which are installed on their own separate HDD's. But I am still confused after reading post #1 w/ screenshots. I want to make 100% sure that I have things properly setup in regard to what folder/files are in each of the roots of the O/S. I copied the following folder and files to the root of BOTH XP and Vista. What I want to know is if any of them should be removed if they are redundant (not needed) or even harmful. Again both XP and Vista have ALL of the following items in their respective roots:

FOLDER:
Boot

FILES:
boot.ini
bootmgr
NETDETECT.COM
ntldr
PRO Level 3

2 hard drives

Postby starter » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:46 pm

When I try to copy the Vista boot folder, BCD and BCD.log files won't copy because the files are open in another program. I can copy all other files but the two mentioned. What does this mean? Thanks for your help.
PRO Level 2

Postby mr335 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:38 pm

Do I need to open VistaBootPro in Vista or in XP?
PRO New Member

PreviousNext

Return to Guides