A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Unplugged XP Drive for Vista Setup: Can't Dual Boot to XP

Postby Chuft » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:34 am

Thank you. I couldn't make out the photo. When I opened it it was pretty blurry. I'll give it a try in a few. MY only concern is that this is an HP my wife bought me as a gift. Not particularly powerful, but better than my old Dell. I yanked out the HDD that had Vista on it. put in a new drive and installed XP, so I could run some programs Vista refused to handle. Now I've got them both back in, and I'm already tired of going into BIOS to switch the HDD I want to boot from.
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:41 am

Let us know how it goes Chuft and please post for help if you need it :yesnod:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Chuft » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:11 pm

Another quick question. When I boot to XP the drive letters are:
Disk 0 HP (D: ) Recovery (E: )
Disk 1 (C: )

When I boot to Vista Yhe drive letters are:

Disk 0 HP (C: ) Recovery (D: )
Disk 1 (F: )

Is that going to make a difference when I set up the dual boot? I'm still having some driver issues in XP. I can't seem to find the drivers for a PCI Device or a Universal Serial Bus Controler. THe system came with the Media readers, and some HP swapable drive.
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:36 pm

The drive letter changing of Vista is a virtual one from the perspective of Windows XP and makes no difference as the "real" drive lettering shows up again when booting to XP

This can be confusing but in fact is quite helpful once one comes to terms with it

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Chuft » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:39 pm

So it's ok to follow the instructions on page 1? I don't have to do anything different? I'm begining to miss the "good ole days" of DOS.
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:59 am

Chuft wrote:So it's ok to follow the instructions on page 1? I don't have to do anything different? I'm begining to miss the "good ole days" of DOS.

If your situation is the same as at the top of the thread you should be fine following those directions. To improve the quality of the images just maximize them and then click them once :yesnod:

PROfessional Member

Postby Chuft » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:14 am

LOL. OK. I feel like an idiot now. I'm sure you're thinking, "Wow, it'll be a miricle if his computer doesn't explode when he tries this". Thanks for the info. I'm going to give it a try as soon as I get off of work.
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:29 am

No need to feel that way at all Chuft. When things are new to us we all feel at a bit of a disadvantage. Most of us had to ask how to use and upload images at some point :)

PROfessional Member

Postby Chuft » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:09 am

Didn't work for me. I don't know if theres something different because Vista came preinstalled on this PC or nor
PRO Level 2

Postby Chuft » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:44 am

Tought I had it working for a minute, but when i tried to boot to XP it told me it was missing ntldr, and wanted me to put in my XP installation cd t repair.
PRO Level 2

PreviousNext

Return to Guides