A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual Boot XP Pro x86 and Vista Ultimate x64 Issue

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Dual Boot XP Pro x86 and Vista Ultimate x64 Issue

Postby ALIENWARE1973 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:49 pm

hello, I've been scouring google for any info to help me with a dual boot problem I have: I have XP Pro x86 installed as my main OS on a SATA HD. I recently created a partition on the same drive and installed Vista Ultimate x64. When booting, my boot manager doesnt come up and it goes directly into XP Pro. The only way I can access Vista is by going into bios and setting it to boot from CD ROM while having Vista DVD in. <----I dont press any buttons when given the choice to boot from CD, then the boot manager comes up.

I would like for my boot manager to show up without having to change bios settings and without having Vista CD in. I have tried VistaBoot Pro from XP and Vista which seems to do nothing.

When in Vista VistaBoot Pro shows correct OS entries....

Any help would be appreciated, thank you...:)
PRO New Member

Postby ALIENWARE1973 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:24 pm

oh here is my disk management as taken from XP:

C: has my XP Pro installation
V: has Vista
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:57 pm

Hi and welcome to PROnetworks! One thing I see is that your G: drive (Disk 0) is currently your "ACTIVE" disk, and as I see no OS's installed, this makes me wonder how it became the active disk. Your XP is correctly showing up as the System drive; is the G: drive also a SATA HDD?
PRO PLATINUM

Postby ALIENWARE1973 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:21 pm

no G: is just storage and its PATA, I dont know why its set as active. I didnt set it as active. That screenshot was from in XP (C: ), when I use Vista it changes the letters around, Vista partition becomes C: and XP goes to E:.
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:51 pm

Aha!! So you have a mix of IDE/SATA drives then.....? Interesting that you can boot XP normally but not Vista.......... I'm not sure if there is a way to 'un' activate an IDE drive, other than making it a Logical partition. This is a known issue; hang on for more input from other members

Edit: Don't worry too much about the drive letter rearrangement with Vista; you installed Vista by booting the DVD, which is why Vista took C: but it doesn't affect the physical location of where the data is
PRO PLATINUM

Postby ALIENWARE1973 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:56 pm

heres more screenshots taken from inside Vista that might be helpful:

when I start VistaBoot Pro from in Vista I do get a warning that" Vista is not installed and that I have an irregular drive configuration."

Yes, when i built this system I wanted SATA for my main HD, the IDE was older and I threw it in for storage.
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:00 pm

It's irregular not only due to the IDE/SATA mix, but also becuase each OS thinks the System drive is different........... Vista sees your IDE as the System drive and XP sees itself as the System drive........odd
PRO PLATINUM

Postby ALIENWARE1973 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:56 pm

thanks for you help Kevin.....I GOT IT WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what happened is somehow my boot folder and bootmgr ended up on my IDE (storage) drive. I moved those 2 things over to XP root folder and I am now one happy camper. I found the suggestion to do this in another thread on these forums..GJ and thanks to admins on being so helpful :)

I had to dig quite a bit to find this solution, it might be helpful for others that have this problem if there were a sticky thread....
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:12 pm

Great job gettting it working!! We see issues resembling yours periodically/intermittently, although the fix is not always the same; now I'd be REALLY good if I could tell you why it happened.........lol
PRO PLATINUM

Return to Windows Boot Problems