A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

XP ntldr error in multiboot

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Postby McTavish » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:42 pm

Having independent installs Derek requires using a different bootmanager. The free GAG would work well for you now, but OSL2000 would be the easiest for you
PRO Level 3

Postby Dubinvero » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:33 pm

McTavish,

Thanks for your suggestion. My problem is solved. I downloaded OSL2000 which enabled me to boot to XP. I can of course also boot Vista. I missed the need for the third party boot manager in your excellent article on multibooters.co.uk.

My problem is solved but I have one less important question. From the OSL2000 menu I boot directly from the XP selection. When I choose Vista it takes me to the Vista Bootmanager screen with its XP and Vista choices. Of course the only valid choice is Vista. Is this extra step through the Vista Botmanager screen required.?

I would also like to thank kd1966 for his assistance. This is a great forum.

Derek
PRO Level 2

Postby McTavish » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:06 pm

Hi Derek, thanks, you are seeing the Vista dual boot menu because you tried to add XP to the BCD store. Use VistaBootPro again to delete the added XP entry and you should be sorted. OSL2000 is rock solid and dependable so you made a good choice. You should however always be prepared for something messing up your system, so if you have a floppy drive in your computer make the OSL install floppy so you can reinstall without having to get into Windows to do it. Also a good idea to make both XP and Vista boot floppies. If you don
PRO Level 3

Postby Dubinvero » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:47 pm

McTavish,

Thanks again, I deleted the XP entry from the BCD store and now Vista and XP boot directly from the OSL 2000 menu. I will follow your advice and make the floppies for OSL, XP and Vista.

I would like to ask you a backup question. With my two independent OS installs, can I do separate image backups of each partition that could be used to restore only the partition that has the problem?

Derek
PRO Level 2

Postby McTavish » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:06 am

That
PRO Level 3

Postby Dubinvero » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:41 pm

McTavish,

Thanks again for all of your help. I would encourage others who want to do independent multiboot OS installs to read your excellent articles at multibooters.co.uk.

Derek
PRO Level 2

Previous

Return to Windows Boot Problems