A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Unplugged XP Drive for Vista Setup: Can't Dual Boot to XP

cannot fint boot/bootmng files.

Postby samhfoley » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:24 am

I did as you said, switched the Xp to the system slot, moved Vista to D, booted in XP, went to windows explorer (set to see hidden files) and all I see in the main D window is:
Program Files
ProgramData
Users
Windows
Bootsect.BAK
config.sys
autoexec.bat

I found a bootmng file in D/windows/boot/PCAT is that it?

as for the BOOT folder, I see 3 possibilites
D/WINDOWS
D/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32
D/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/REMINST

what to do here?
Sam
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:44 am

See HERE for the proposed solution in your case samhfoley :yesnod:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby puritykin » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:44 am

When I try to boot XP I keep getting the same error

"Invalid boot.ini"

I think i did what You said.

Vista boots fine.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:50 am

puritykin wrote:When I try to boot XP I keep getting the same error

"Invalid boot.ini"

I think i did what You said.

Vista boots fine.

Hi puritykin and welcome to PROnetworks. Please copy and paste your boot.ini here and also a screenshot of your Disk Management. We should be able to figure out what changes you need to make to boot.ini

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby puritykin » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:38 am

Great, thanks.

boot.ini
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Computer manage.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:02 pm

It looks like your boot.ini should read:

Code: Select all
boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Hope that gets you sorted out. I think you are going to have to create a new boot.ini file using notepad which you can do by right clicking the desktop and select New>Text document. Copy and paste the above into it and rename the text document to boot.ini and then copy or cut and paste to the root of your VISTA drive which is your system drive.

PROfessional Member

Postby puritykin » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:25 pm

No go Grav!ty.

When I get to the OS Boot menu, If I select XP the computer just restarts itself.
If I select Vista, I go into Vista.
PRO New Member

Postby socket2me » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:14 am

I tried following the instructions but had problems. I copied the boot folder from Vista to XP-Home as the instructions state and installed VistaBootPro. I selected "reinstall the Vista bootloader" but didn't see the Vista OS when I went to load the legacy OS. So I quit at that point. When trying to boot into XP-Home now I get a disk read error. Can't fix with Symantec Rescue Disk says that "q12200.sys has a 8192 error at line 3529 in D:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\setup c." My XP-home CD runs but fails when running 'R' for repair. My Xp-Home is now toast! Guess I'll have to try and re-install XP. Any suggestions? :-?
PRO New Member

Postby Chuft » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:11 am

I hate to sound stupid, but where exactly do I copy the Vista files too? What folder on the XP drive?
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:17 am

Chuft wrote:I hate to sound stupid, but where exactly do I copy the Vista files too? What folder on the XP drive?

No folder - to the root of the drive - same as the screenshot at the top of the thread :yesnod:

PROfessional Member

PreviousNext

Return to Guides