A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

How To: Modify BCD using bcdedit when install XP after Vista

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Postby JabbaPapa » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:36 am

Just look for the "Restore Vista bootloader" option :yesnod:
PRO VETERAN

Postby Cokeman » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:57 pm

JabbaPapa wrote:Just look for the "Restore Vista bootloader" option :yesnod:

In what VistaBootPro? Cause it won't run I get a native library error.
How can I edit it using BCDEdit.exe?
PRO New Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:45 pm

If you can't run VBP in XP, it's usually symptomatic of deeper problems than just the inability to dual-boot.

I personally always clean install everything when that happens ...
PRO VETERAN

Postby kd1966 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:07 pm

Or also check that you have .NET 2.0 installed in XP....... although VBPro should not install if you don't.....
PRO PLATINUM

Postby Cokeman » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:11 am

kd1966 wrote:Or also check that you have .NET 2.0 installed in XP....... although VBPro should not install if you don't.....

I can't boot into XP now. I was locked out of vista. i now can boot to Vista only. i need to add XP to the boot of vista.

I tried using bcdedit but it won't let me do anything. I am half tempted to just remove Vista completely. i really don't want to do this but I need XP back.

Heres the way it's setup
C:\Vista
D:\XP Pro
On single hard drive. 2 33.5 partions
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:36 am

If you need XP back, boot the XP CD to the recovery console and use the command: fixboot

Then reboot directly to XP (Take out the CD)
PRO PLATINUM

Postby Cokeman » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:10 am

kd1966 wrote:If you need XP back, boot the XP CD to the recovery console and use the command: fixboot

Then reboot directly to XP (Take out the CD)

So there is no way to fix it where I can dual boot vista & xp?
PRO New Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:33 am

Sure there is, we just seem to be talking at cross purposes here :whistle

Can you please post a screenshot of your drive and partitions from the Disk Management tool in Computer > right-click > manage ?
PRO VETERAN

Loading XP

Postby JonFL » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:26 am

Hey, guys, could I get some help with a basic problem? I've had several suggestions for getting XP on my computer, but they all run up against a wall: I can't load XP. I put the DVD drive first in the boot list, disabled the HDD, and came closest [I think] when I disabled the Vista boot loader with VistaBootPro [but I've forgotten how I did that, now]. Then I got the message "Can't find [or "Missing ...", something like that] NTLDR". At that point I had to restore the drive. [Not a problem, as I don't have anything on the system of importance.] I talked to HP Support, but was kicked upstairs until I got to Level 3 Support, which costs no matter what they said in the literature about free support.

I have a Compaq Presario F540, 80GB drive [45 available], 1 GB memory. I have an XP Pro install disk [not upgrade], CD/DVD burner, and some USB drives that would hold the XP files if I knew how to boot from them. I'd rather have pure XP, but I'd settle for dual-boot. Any suggestions?
PRO New Member

Previous

Return to Windows Boot Problems