A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual Booting Vista & WindowsXP Question

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Dual Booting Vista & WindowsXP Question

Postby Grzyb » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:30 am

Hi All,

I've been running WindowsXP Pro SP2 for a few years now 32bit version...I would like to dual boot this with Vista Ultimate x64. I have purchased a 320gb Hard Drive and have installed & partitioned it ready for the deployment of Vista....

Before I take the plunge is there anything that I should be aware of before I Install Vista.

Would it be an idea to unplug the WinXP Drive?? I have 11 Hard Disks in my Set-up, mostly Data disks used for back-ups etc.....I have tried to read some guides on the subject, so hoepfully things will run smoothly,

I have posted a screen pic of part of my ComputerManagement setup

All comments greatly appreciated

Regards

Grzyb
PRO New Member

Postby augie » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:24 pm

Welcome aboard Grzyb, seems like rapishare is not too rapid today as they state that there are too many people downloading. Perhaps you can upload your file to imageshack.us as that works well. Wow, 11 drives! I personally wouldn't even try installing Vista as dual booting in such a complicated environment is tricky especially if you have a mix of PATA and SATA drives. Anyways, wait for the boot gurus to come in here.

EDIT: It's working now.
Last edited by augie on Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. -- Carl Jung

eVGA X58 tri-SLI, i7 930 @ 3.8GHz., Corsair 6GB Dominator, Inno3D GTX470, eVGA260
ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2600K @4.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, eVGA GTX 460
Community Director

Postby McBlzr » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:28 pm

Wow, 11 drives beats my 6 HD's on my system! I am pretty sure everyone will tell you not to unplug the xp drive if you want to dual boot.
ImageImageImageImage

Doc says "Back to The Future" with Windows Vista (LongHorn)!!!
Doc says "The Future isn't written Yet" with WINDOWS 7
PRO Level 7

Postby Grzyb » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:00 pm

Thanks for the reply Guys,

When would you Install VistaBootPro v3.1, before or after the Vista Install?? Is the Vista Install best done from within Windows environment or from a reboot with the DVD...

Was wondering the same, if the PATA/SATA combo would cause any problems?? I can only give it ago and see...Have backed up my WinXP Pro using Acronis & Drive Image just to be on the safe side...
PRO New Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems