A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

XP After Vista or Vista after XP? For me no one start (Resolved)

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

XP After Vista or Vista after XP? For me no one start (Resolved)

Postby mrltd » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:50 pm

Hi to everyone.
I've followed all yours indication to "how to install xp in a dual boot with pre-installed vista", but it doesn't match.

I've a new pc with vista pre-installed with amd athlon 64 4200 dual core 2.2 Gh, 2x1GB RAM, HDD Sata (sataII) Samsung 400 GB, Video Sapphire ATI Radeon x1300 512 MB

and a MB ASROCK AM2NF6G-VSTA.

So i start with every point step by step of your guide, i've created an unallocated space, shrinking the c: (vista) to 80 GB, after i've changed the drives letters and..
-----------------------------:oops:
oops
the only changes that i've made is that i haven't leaved all the remaining +/- 300 GB for xp but i've created a ntfs partition of only 25 GB, always using the vista computer

management, and leaved the remaining +/- 275 unallocated.

when i changed the letters of drives i was forced to rename 4 usb drives, so to have c: (vista) ,d: (xp) and the DVD e:, i've changed the usb e:,f:,g:,h:, in f:,g:,h:,i:.

and befor installing xp i've installed vistabootpro in vista and i've creted a backup of the bootloader in c: (vista)
-----------------------------:oops:
oops
So i've restarted the pc and start to install xp, but after the first reboot the computer after the message "press any key to start from cd...." says "an error occured in loading

the operating system" (this is my english translation from italian, sorry).

So i've tried to install before xp and i've formatted the c: (vista 80 GB) with hiren's boot cd (befor with partition magic 8.05 but it find an error, and after i've used acronis

disk directory 9) and i've succeeded. the installation of xp was ok.

the first time, making mistake, i've formatted the vista partition with ntfs of acronis (i've read that it's not the same of vista) and the second time i've created unallocated

space and formatted with the program in vista dvd, but in this two cases the computer was unable to continue the installation and the xp to start.

it stops when rebooting in the "press any key to start from dvd....". The hard disk was not working and i've leaved the pc for a log time to see if it restart the installation but

in vain, and xp don't start anymore.
:no
anino
So finaly i've formatted again all the 400 gb of the HDD and reinstalled Vista.

So, please if i've done something wrong or if there is another thing to do i pray :notworthy to help me. i need xp and i want vista.

Edit by NT50: Changed subject to Resolved
Tried to cleanup javascript emotion errors
PRO New Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:02 pm

Hey mrltd, Welcome to PROnetworks !!!

1) Shrink the Vista partition to 50 GB ; reboot

2) Make sure all is well ; shut down

3) Pop the XP CD in the tray, reboot, this will take you into XP Setup -- hit F6 if you need to install extra drivers, especially RAID/SATA drivers

4) When asked where to install XP, create a new partition in the unallocated space, 20-25 GB is fine ^*^

5) Install VistaBootPRO in XP ; use the software to reinstall the Vista boot loader

6) Reboot, and make sure all is well.

7) In Disk Management (either XP or Vista), create a Data volume in the remaining 300+ GB on the drive ; Create a Documents folder in this drive.

8) In XP, move the contents of your My Documents folder into this new folder

9) In Vista do the same with Documents, Pictures, and Music (having moved the data from XP, you will have a My Music folder and a My Pictures folder inside Documents in the new partition ; use these for the pictures and music)

10) Install software, and you're all set ^*^

PS just let the drive letters take care of themselves, it's wiser ;)
PRO VETERAN

Postby mrltd » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:53 pm

JabbaPapa wrote:Hey mrltd, Welcome to PROnetworks !!!

1) Shrink the Vista partition to 50 GB ; reboot

10) Install software, and you're all set ^*^

PS just let the drive letters take care of themselves, it's wiser ;)

Thanks for your answer JabbaPapa, but now something happen.
I tried to reduce the partition with vista to 50 GB how you suggested, but now i can't because the minimum space to reduce is 190 GB, the vista program says that it can't reduce much more if in the partition there are paging file or snapshots. so i formatted again all the hard disk and reinstall vista but again i can't reduce much smaller then 190 GB. I've seen inside the partition but with all the hiden files and the system files it only takes 15 GB, and when i see in the properties it says that i've used only 9 GB and the free space is 363 GB.
so how can i return to reduce the vista partition to 50 GB?
is there a possibility that something remains even though i formatted all. If you want i can send you photos of what vista says so you can understand much better. please answer[/img]
PRO New Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:59 pm

Interesting ...

For the time being, just shrink it as far as it will go...

Do you have anything in the Waste Basket ?

I hope you haven't inadvertently messed up your partition ... :(
PRO VETERAN

Postby JabbaPapa » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:00 pm

Oh wait, hang on --- what installation method are you using ?
PRO VETERAN

Postby JabbaPapa » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:23 pm

If all else fails, boot from your XP CD.

Start XP setup, then when prompted, delete any partitions in sight.

You should then be asked to make a new one.

Select the desired 50 GB partition size, and format NTFS.

When done, swap the XP CD for the Vista DVD and reboot, without finishing XP setup.

You should be able to use the 50 GB partition for Vista --- make sure you format the partition during setup ...
PRO VETERAN

Postby mrltd » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:26 pm

JabbaPapa wrote:If all else fails, boot from your XP CD.

Start XP setup, then when prompted, delete any partitions in sight.

You should then be asked to make a new one.

Select the desired 50 GB partition size, and format NTFS.

When done, swap the XP CD for the Vista DVD and reboot, without finishing XP setup.

You should be able to use the 50 GB partition for Vista --- make sure you format the partition during setup ...

Hi jabbaPapa (but what that mean)

i'm sorry but i was working and i will follow your interestings suggestions later when i cam back from my work. if all goes good or bad i'll notice you.

for the first question i can say that i formatted the partition with the vista dvd and after installed the program for another time and the result is the same, i can't go down much more than 190 GB.

I'm using the installation from Vista DVD (original oem version)

What you think if i try to resize the partition using the program acronis set in the cd of "Hiren's boot CD"? i think you know what i'm talking about.

if it fails i will try to do what you said about the xp installation cd.
By for now, and a lots of thanks.
PRO New Member

Postby mrltd » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:00 pm

Hi to everyone,

I discovered what was the problem on my two different manner of installations. XP after Vista and Vista after XP.

I think the error was this:

"when i changed the letters of drives i was forced to rename 4 usb drives, so to have c: (vista) ,d: (xp) and the DVD e:, i've changed the usb e:,f:,g:,h:, in f:,g:,h:,i:."

because how you suggest in the installation guide if i change two letters i have to reboot two times, but i have changed 5 letters in only one step and have reboot the the PC only two times.

Tell me if i'm wrong.

So, after all i've formatted whit xp cd all the hard disk, and reinstalled Vista making and formatting a partition of 60 GB. After i've installed xp and followed stwp by step your guide, and all go fine :notworthy ^*^ :whistle

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE SUPPORT. YOU ARE GREAT.
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:01 pm

Glad you got it going. i changed the subject line to Resolved, if you need the thread to be unresolved for any reason just post back and I will change it back.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Return to Windows Boot Problems