A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual-boot Vista & XP install on NForce 590 with 2 RAID 1 arrays fails [SOLVED!]

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:09 am

Captante wrote:As a minor update, I've been doing some more research & it appears that although Vista does currently have drivers for the AMD version of the Nvidia 590/570 SLI SATA controller, they DON"T have SATA-RAID drivers
for it available yet,

Well, that certainly explains why it split those RAIDs into four bite-size chunks :lol:

Try the XP drivers, but do try and look for Server 2003 drivers first --- when available, they play nicer with Vista :yesnod:
PRO VETERAN

Postby tb57 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:39 am

Hi Captante
Have you tried/thought of installing XP and Vista on single disks, then adding the second disk of each array once you've got the two OS's nicely installed and dual-boot-capable?
That what my next experiment will be - have a similar problem with Vista installation messing up my XP RAID 0/1 array (Intel Matrix) and not continuing due to a "device failure".
Last night I Unplugged the two raid disks and installed Vista on a single HD - not a hitch. Making the rig dual-boot was also a synch. I could now add a fourth disk and spread Vista across 2 disks the way you want it using the Matrix Storage Manager ....
hopeithelps
Antec P180B, Gigabyte P965-DQ6, Intel E6400, 2GB Corsair XMS, Scythe Ninja, 2xMSI 512MB, 2xSamsung DVD, 2xWD5000JS RE2 HDs, Akasa fan controller, Antec Phantom 500 PSU
PRO New Member

Postby Captante » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:22 pm

Well finally some good news! :)

After a bunch more reading on the Asus forums, I found a working 32-bit NvRAID SATA driver hidden in a sub-directory of a 45.1 mb chipset driver package which I was able to manually extract easily because Asus posted it in a zip-file, like they used to when you had to update drivers manually so no special utility is required to extract the files.

I copied the required drivers onto a flash drive & loaded them manually using the "load drivers" tab during setup ... (both the SATA RAID & the SATA storage drivers are required just like in XP setup & they were in a sub-directory called IDE) held my breath, went for it & it worked exactly as intended with XP on array #1 & Vista on #2 ... the only weird thing is that I have to set XP as the default OS, or it won't load at all even if selected in the boot-manager menu, but aside from that it looks like I'm good to go!

Although these drivers are listed on the Asus site for the Crosshair 590SLI, they should work fine for any Nvidia 590 or 570 SLI (of course YMMV ... use at your own risk!) so if you need them yourself, head over there & download away.

Thanks again for the help guys .. at the very least you kept me inspired to keep trying till I made it work!

Link to Asus driver:

http://support.asus.com/download/downlo ... =CROSSHAIR
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:49 am

Congratulations for getting your configuration sorted out Captante ^*^

Thank you for posting the solution as I'm sure others will come across the same issue.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:23 am

Hey, glad you found those drivers -- well done ^*^
PRO VETERAN

Previous

Return to Windows Boot Problems