A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Different problem with dual boot..

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Different problem with dual boot..

Postby orbitech » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:46 am

I have a different problem with making my dual boot work correctly ..
Let's take it from the beginning..

I had Win XP on drive C: and later I installed Vista Ultimate on a different HDD. It created by itself a dual boot and I had no issues whatsoever with it..
That was till I decided to format my primary HDD C: and reinstall XP. Vista remained as it were. I remind you that both OSes are on a different HDD.Now I know that you can't possibly make boot.ini in XP to see Vista in dual boot. So I downloaded the VistaBootPro program which writes the Vista bootloader for me.
I restarted and it had indeed created the dual boot. Now I can start Vista through this dual boot, but I can't start XP(problem with corrupt file or something which is not valid of course it just can't see the XP bootsector right). The only way to make XP work again is to remove from Vista the bootloader through VistaBootPro. But this of course removes the dual boot and I can't start Vista

So is there a way to make a permanent "appropriate" dual boot that can run both OSes again?

Thnx in advance
PRO New Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:26 am

There may be some useful info for you HERE :

http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=88193

BTW Welcome to PROnetworks !!!
PRO VETERAN

Postby orbitech » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:29 am

JabbaPapa wrote:There may be some useful info for you HERE :

http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=88193

BTW Welcome to PROnetworks !!!

Thnx 4 teh welcoming m8
I was just looking at this right now and I had posted b4 I saw ur post.. ^*^

The sad thing is that as I said to that thread I don't have those backups to put them back in c:root :whistle

So is there any other way?
Maybe someone can give me his files and I can just check the drive letters? Is that even an option? :confused
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:44 pm

Ok, now that I'm reading this here I see your issue a bit clearer.................. Let's start of by having you boot the XP CD to the recovery console and typing in the command "fixboot" without the quotes. You should be able to reboot straight into XP now, so you can then run VistaBootPRO again and see what your BCD looks like, then reinstall the Vista Bootloader
PRO PLATINUM

Postby orbitech » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Thanks all for your support..

My problem was exactly described here
and I found this solution easy and 100% "appropriate" for my issue..
Thnx Gravity..

Anyway thanks everyone ^*^
PRO New Member

Postby JabbaPapa » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:22 pm

^*^
PRO VETERAN

Return to Windows Boot Problems