A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista/XP Dual boot; XP won't boot

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Postby samhfoley » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:43 am

When I first installed VistaBoot I backed it up, should I use that one? I backed it up twice. once from Vista (the 1st time) and once from XP (2nd time)
PRO Level 2

Postby samhfoley » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:54 am

also tried disconnecting VISTA drive and booting only from XP and got the following message
WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/WINLOAD.exe
Status 0xc000000e
file is missing or corrupt

Plugged VISTA back in and it boots fine into Vista but Vista is the System drive even though XP is in the SATA-0 slot. Running diagnostics in VistaBootPro fails repeatedly. What to do here?

...ahh, the good news is that i can see the boot folder and the bootmng files now. If we can just remedy the XP situation we'll be good.
-Sam
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:15 am

Go to Disk Management (right click Computer>Manage>Disk Management), and check there which is your boot System drive.

Make sure all these files are on that drive

boot.ini
NTDETECT.COM
ntldr
Boot (folder and contents)
bootmgr

Reinstall the Vista bootloader again and run diagnostics again.

Ignore that error you get in VistaBootPRO and continue.

You should not restore that old BCD as it takes you back a step or two.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby samhfoley » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:40 am

I now have the Vista drive as the system drive because starting up with my XP HD repeatedly gets error messages. The latest being \Ntldr application is missing or corrupt. trie to look at a repair install of XP, but there was no R to choose from, just clean install. What to do from here?

I also don't know whether or not I restored that file. I might have when I was trying to get the diagnostics to work. By the way when I click continue from that error message, nothing happens.
PRO Level 2

Postby samhfoley » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:56 am

all of the files and folders

boot.ini
NTDETECT.COM
ntldr
Boot (folder and contents) ** not sure what is supposed to be in there, but there are 20 or so files inside**
bootmgr

are on the XP HD (now on D as I cannot boot with it on C at all.)

What to do from here?
PRO Level 2

Postby samhfoley » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:03 am

before you told me that I needed to repair Vista twice in order to see the Boot folder and bootmgr in the VISTA HD, I might have done something bad here. i think i copied the boot folder from the VISTA HD's windows folder and pasted it in the XP HD. I can see that there is a boot folder and a bootmgr in the XP HD, but I cannot get permission to delete them from VISTA.
PRO Level 2

Postby samhfoley » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:04 am

reapplied the bootloader and ran diagnostics. (but now with VISTA running from C as the system HD)
There is currently 2 OS(s) installed in the boot manager.
Current timeout before default boots: 30
Default OS: Microsoft Windows Vista

Entry # 1
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Boot Drive: C:
Windows Drive: C:
System Bootloader: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry # 2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Earlier Version of Windows
BCD ID: {ntldr}
Boot Drive: C:
Windows Drive:
System Bootloader: \ntldr
Windows Directory:
PRO Level 2

Postby samhfoley » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:21 am

I seem to have made a mess of this project. please advise as to how to proceed from here.
-Sam
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:46 am

Try running the startup repair from the Vista DVD again. Just once should do it now :yesnod:

It is important not to keep changing the boot device in your BIOS or by switching the cables around.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby samhfoley » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:10 am

OK, so I managed to move the boot folder and the startupmgr to a programs folder on XP HD, then was able to boot up in XP again...wooohoo. Deleted the bad boot/bootmgr files and started again fresh. did the Vista repair twice and guess what? Same thing...back to booting my XP HD directly onto vista. What to do?
-Sam
PRO Level 2

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Boot Problems