A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Vista/XP Dual boot; XP won't boot

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Postby samhfoley » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:14 am

I have done the following. Bought a new HD, Ghosted my old files and XP OS to the new HD, formated the old HD and installed VISTA on it.
Vista is on SATA 0
XP is on SATA 2
The computer boots in VISTA with no access to XP.

The VistaBoot pro program looks like exactly what I need, but the technicality of it looks a little over my head. Can someone give me a barebones explanation of what exactly i need to do to facilitate having access to both my XP and VISTA HDs upon boot. Thanks so much
PRO Level 2

Postby kd1966 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:59 am

That is probably due to the fact that XP was never "installed" or present when you installed Vista, as it sounds like you installed Vista, then re-imaged your XP OS/Data??

It is possible to get this to work, but we need to know which HDD partition is your System drive (Likely it is the Vista partition) and this can be determined with the Disk Mgmt console
PRO PLATINUM

Postby samhfoley » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:32 am

I can change which one is my system drive by simply turning the PC off and switching the drives between SATA 0 and SATA 2. I tried to follow the steps in
http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=84455
but I was unable to locate the folder Boot and the file bootmgr from the Vista installation drive. I found a boot folder in the windows folder, but no bootmng

what to do?

would doing a repair install of XP help? I don't want to erase what's on the HD as it has all of my data.
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:42 am

Welcome to PROnetworks samhfoley. Firstly you need to now stay with your XP drive as your system or boot drive. Then run startup repair by booting to your Vista DVD, and at the Install now screen, select Repair my computer at the bottom left. If startup repair doesn't auto start then select your Vista installation and proceed and select Startup repair from the top of the menu and reboot.

You will have to do that twice, as the first time round the files (folder Boot and the file bootmgr) will be copied to your boot system drive and the second time round Startup repair will configure them.

Then check which of the entries in the boot menu are the live/active ones and delete those that are not with VistaBootPRO

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby samhfoley » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:12 am

OK now something wrong happened. I did exactly what you said. booted with VISTA DVD with XP in the System Drive, ran repair once restarted, ran repair again (startup repair) then restarted the PC. Now it boots straight into VISTA even though my XP is in the system drive. What to do?

I also still do not see the boot folder or the bootmng files in the Vista folder.

help!
PRO Level 2

Postby samhfoley » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:12 am

OK now something wrong happened. I did exactly what you said. booted with VISTA DVD with XP in the System Drive, ran repair once restarted, ran repair again (startup repair) then restarted the PC. Now it boots straight into VISTA even though my XP is in the system drive. What to do?

I also still do not see the boot folder or the bootmng files in the Vista folder.

help!
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:20 am

Do you have folder view settings to show hidden files and folders and not to hide hidden operating system files?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby samhfoley » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:29 am

I will check. Is that normal for it to have switched the HDs like it did and boot straight from VISTA even though XP was in the SATA 0 slot?
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:30 am

samhfoley wrote:I will check. Is that normal for it to have switched the HDs like it did and boot straight from VISTA even though XP was in the SATA 0 slot?

Nope that's not normal. Install VistaBootPRO and don't backup the BCD when prompted because it's corrupt. Then go to the Bootloader tab and "Reinstall the Vista bootloader"

Then go to the Diagnostics menu item on the menu bar in VistaBootPRO and "Run diagnostics". This will default you to the Manage OS Entries page and you should see Earlier versions of Windows and Microsoft Windows Vista there now

Reboot and test the menu items

PROfessional Member

Postby samhfoley » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:40 am

when I did this I got en error message from VistaBootPro saying
unhandled exception has occurred in your application, if you click continue spp will ignore this error and attempt to continue
details as follows
Assembly Version: 3.3.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.3.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PROnetworks/VistaBootPRO%203.1/XPExplorerBar.DLL
----------------------------------------
PROnetworks-100003
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PROnetworks/VistaBootPRO%203.1/PROnetworks-100003.DLL
PROnetworks-100001
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PROnetworks/VistaBootPRO%203.1/PROnetworks-100001.DLL
System.Management
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.312 (rtmLHS.050727-3100)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll
PROnetworks-100002
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PROnetworks/VistaBootPRO%203.1/PROnetworks-100002.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system>
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
PRO Level 2

Next

Return to Windows Boot Problems