A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Backing up my XP dual boot

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Backing up my XP dual boot

Postby blake442 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:33 pm

Right now i have XP pro installed on two separate drives, each with one partition. C is my main drive, F is my gaming drive. I can select either drive thru windows dual boot.

Say i want to install Vista on my F drive. Before installing i image both my drives to my external using True image. I install Vista to F drive and it sets up Vista dual boot.

Now i want to go back to my original configuration. Will i be able to image over the Vista instalation using the TI boot disk and how do i restore my original XP boot setup?

Just trying to cover my but in case somthing goes awry.

Thanks.
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:21 pm

In that situation of yours, I would simply create and restore a backup image of what is your drive F. Having a backup of your main XP on drive C is also a good idea, but you should be able to restore F without restoring C too.

Before doing so, you will need to uninstall the Vista bootloader using VistaBootPRO and reformat the drive Vista is on. YOu can do this all from Windows XP and then just restore the F drive. I have found with True Image that it works best when the drive/partition size and the drive letter does not change.

It's probably a good idea to completely remove all traces of Vista by following the removal section of our Installation Guide which you will find at the top of this forum.

I've used True Image successfully to restore Vista installations from Windows XP as well.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby blake442 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:43 am

Excellent. Thanks.
PRO Level 2

Return to Windows Boot Problems