A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dualboot BSOD problems

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Postby jdjleo » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:51 am

im using a brand new Dell XPS came straight from them today
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:10 am

jdjleo wrote:im using a brand new Dell XPS came straight from them today

Thats a nice system. Sorry I'm not being much help. I just can't place what's causing your XP CD not to be able to reach setup.

Maybe someone with direct experience of a similar system and drive/partition structure can help you.

Does the system come with a full Windows Vista install DVD or does it come with a restore DVD for Vista?

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Michaels » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:37 am

gravity is very much right in his suggestions. your partition table is not okay and you will never install windows xp in it because windows xp does not understand your system partition setup.

to repeat what graham said earlier, you must delete all partition. bring back up this drive to just ONE WHOLE PARTITION, that is delete all partitions, you have to loose some data so back up first all valuable programs.

since this a new factory built computer, i guess there is still a hidden partition for system restore. and if you delete all partitions you will no longer be able to do a system restore with OEM cd. unless this does not apply, you have to follow the above step to put back your drive partition in order
PROfessional Member

Postby jdjleo » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:42 am

ok well...

I have full system restores discs. I can always restore the system exactly as it came to me from DELL right?

How do i delete all the partitions so i can install xp?

If you dont mind just break it down for me.

After the progrmas i need get updated to work with Vista, ill just insert the system discs and go right back to the way it came today
PRO New Member

Postby jdjleo » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:14 am

btw i booted up my Vista CD, deleted ALL partitions.

Tehn i inserted my XP Pro CD and rebooted.

SAME THING!

BSOD!?!?!?!

Wth is this about? Is my chipset or system or something inly compatible with Vista?

How can this be?
PRO New Member

Postby Michaels » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:45 am

no, it has nothing to do with your chipset. like i said before, because your partition setup is messed up hence no ACTIVE partition. that is winxp not being able to understand, judging from your screenshot. it appear D:\ is your primary partition while C:\ is logical partition. it should be other way round, not bad though if you have changed the drive letter.

solution to this problem is not very simple to average user:
the easiest i have always followed is, remove this {hard} drive and install windows xp in another hard drive. put this {problem} drive back after installation is done as SLAVE drive and remove every partition on it. finally create a single partition, in other word format it as a single drive. put it back as single drive and install windows xp

to get this solved you have to know how to remove your hard drive and change it to either MASTER or SLAVE without doing more damage to your system.

I MUST REPEAT THIS PART:
if you remove all partitions from this harddrive you might not be able to do a system restore. because the files needed to fully restore your system resides in a HIDDEN partition which can be accessed through the RESTORECD you mentioned. do not follow this if you wish to ever restore your stsem to FACTORY SETTINGS
PROfessional Member

Previous

Return to Windows Boot Problems