A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dualboot BSOD problems

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Postby jdjleo » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:11 am

Hi there!

I followed your instructions perfectly. However, when i restart my pc to load XP , hit f12 to get startup options, boot from CD it goes through the file check etc. And when it says "starting windows xp" i get....

THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! >_<

I tried many times, windows xp will not start up

I cant load XP!

I have the image disc of my hard drive so even wiping it and reinstalling xp would be fine?

But i dont know how?

Any advice on how to load up XP?
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:20 am

Hi jdjleo and Welcome to PROnetworks. Please a thumbnail screenshot of your Disk Management so we can see whats going on there. You'll find disk management by right clicking Computer>Manage>Disk Management.

Press PrtScr on your keyboard once you have it open and then use Paint at Start>Programs>Accessories and go to Edit>Paste and then File Save as. You can upload the screenshot to an image host like www.imageshack.us and then post it here.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby kd1966 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:23 am

I'll take care of this and move it....
MOVED by me
PRO PLATINUM

Postby jdjleo » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:25 am

ok doing that now, thanks!
PRO New Member

Postby jdjleo » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:33 am

here we go:

Thanks alot for your quick response! i was shocked =)
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:04 am

What I suggest is that you delete the logical drive and the extended partition from Disk Management in Windows Vista, and then create a new Primary Partition there, name it and format it - quick format is fine. Perhpas allocating the default drive letter that disk management comes up with is a good idea.

Then reboot back to Vista so that the new drive/partition is fully set into your configuration. Do not skip this step as it is important.

After you have done that, you shouldn't have a problem installing Windows XP. Come to think of it, from Windows XP setup, it may be a good idea to again delete the partition and quick format it from XP setup, before continuing with setup as the file formats that XP and Vista use are slightly different. However, do not skip the first step above. Take care to select the correct drive for XP both before and after deleting and creating the XP partition.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby jdjleo » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:12 am

Well the problem is i cant get to WinXP setup...

In setup As soon as it finishes checking files and says "starting windows" thats when i get the BSOD

I am sorry i didnt understand what you said about the logical drive?!?!

If you wouldnt mind restating your above advice in a little more simplistic manner, that would be great!

Thank you again for your help. It is very appreciated
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:19 am

Go to Disk Management in Windows Vista. Right click the light blue "New Volume" and delete the partition. Then do the same with the extended partition. Once you have black unallocated space recreate a Primary partition there by again right click and follow the wizard to make a new partition and format it.

YOu should have no problem booting to your XP CD after that. What version of XP is it by the way? Is it a full version and not a recovery disk? I don't think a recovery disk will work if it is.

PROfessional Member

Postby jdjleo » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:26 am

Hey guys,

Sorry to be a problem child...

It didnt work =(

The problem isnt the paritioned space, its something else. Even before i started playing with paritions i put in my XP Pro (full real version) and rebooted from CD and same thing happened? It crashes after running files. It says "starting windows" about 10sec pass and pff BSOD!!!!

so i dunno...im hoping you can help...
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:38 am

Is that a Notebook or Laptap you are using jdjleo? I'm guesing it is because of the unusual drive/partition structure you have there.

Normally one's system drive is drive C. Perhaps it's your drive/partition configuration which is the issue.

PROfessional Member

Next

Return to Windows Boot Problems