A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

XP Partition does not boot (Resolved)

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

XP Partition does not boot (Resolved)

Postby CAmbr52342 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:59 am

I installed Vista as an upgrade over my XP Home installation. I also had XP Professional on another parition on my C drive. No matter what I do I can't boot into my XP Professional partition since I installed Vista over my XP Home partition. Vista boots correctly through the dual boot screen created with your program; however, when I select my XP Pro partition a screen says Invalid boot.ini and then goes black. Do you have any workarounds to get me back into the dual boot profile. I have the boot folder and boot file in the root directory of my XP Pro parition already. That does not seem to work. I also have the XP Pro partition listed as drive F under Vista. Thanks for your help.

Edited by NT50: Changed the subject line
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:07 am

If you had your XP home which you upgrade on C drive to begin with and then added XP pro then the three files from XP Pro needs to be on you c:\ root drive...... (I'm assuming that XP Home was C: and you replaced it with Vista upgrade)

boot.ini
NTDETECT.COM
ntldr

Copy those file to c:\ and utilize VistaBootPRO to add the entry for XP Pro into your boot menu.
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby kd1966 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:11 am

Please tell us which partition was your SYSTEM drive (Can be determined with Disk Mgmt console) and also what is the partition status of your HDD(s), which is also evident in the Disk Mgmt?
BTW, Welcome to PROnetworks!! ^*^
PRO PLATINUM

Postby NT50 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:14 am

kd1966 wrote:Please tell us which partition was your SYSTEM drive (Can be determined with Disk Mgmt console) and also what is the partition status of your HDD(s), which is also evident in the Disk Mgmt?
BTW, Welcome to PROnetworks!! ^*^

Yea

I should have ask that first due to fact I was assuming the partition......
PROfessional Member

Postby CAmbr52342 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:39 pm

Thanks for you help.

Both partition are on my first hard disk. The original dual boot configuration was 1) XP Pro and 2) XP Home. XP Home was upgraded to Vista which works great. Should I copy the files you state from my XP Pro partition to the Vista partition or from the Vista to the XP Pro? Also, the XP Pro partition is listed as an "F" drive Vista and as healthty. It does not state it is a boot drive or active (I think). The XP Pro partiton is accessible thru Vista and it does show a boot directory and a boot.ini file. The other thing you should know is that the XP Pro partition Windows directory is known as "Windows.98" not "Windows" which I think could be a problem as the boot.ini from the Vista lists "Winodws" in the path. The boot.ini in the XP Pro partition lists the path as Windows.98. Thanks again I am really frustrated with this and would love to get both operating systems up and running.
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:46 pm

Can you take a snapshot of your disk manager in Vista, upload it somewhere like imageshack and post it here.
PROfessional Member

Postby CAmbr52342 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:21 pm

PRO New Member

Postby CAmbr52342 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:58 pm

See this link for better viewing. Sorry.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/9582/pic15ft2.jpg
PRO New Member

Postby NT50 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:18 pm

Copy from f: to c:

boot.ini
NTDETECT.COM
ntldr

Use VistaBootPro to delete the entry for Windows XP/Legacy OS and enter a new one for Legacy Os/Windows XP with it pointing to F: for you Windows XP.
PROfessional Member

Postby CAmbr52342 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:38 am

Still no good. Same message: "Invalid Boot.ini" It then says booting from c:winodws and the screen goes black. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
PRO New Member

Next

Return to Windows Boot Problems