A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Dual boot problem, help needed.

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Dual boot problem, help needed.

Postby ladyland » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:49 am

Noob question. I have windows xp pro installed on my WD Raptor. I installed Vista Home premium on a second WD SATA HD. I installed VistaBoot PRO 3.1 on the Vista Operating system, but not on the XP Pro. In my BIOS only the hard drive with Vista is recognized as a boot drive when both hard drives are plugged in. How do I use VistaBoot Pro 3.1 to boot from two seperate hard drives, one with XP Pro and the other with Vista Home Premium? Thank you for your help.
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:31 am

Hi ladyland and welcome to PROnetworks. From the Bootloader tab in VistaBootPRO, select "Reinstall the Vista bootloader" and click Apply. Then go to the Diagnostics item on the menu bar and run diagnostics. This will take you to the Manage OS Entries page and you should then see both items listed on that page. Do not edit them any further at this point.

Reboot your system and test both entries and if you like rename them after you are sure they both work. Care should be taken to make sure you do NOT change the drive letters of the entries.

I'm assuming that both drives were connected to your system while you installed Vista by the way.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby ladyland » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:25 pm

Grav!ty wrote:Hi ladyland and welcome to PROnetworks. From the Bootloader tab in VistaBootPRO, select "Reinstall the Vista bootloader" and click Apply. Then go to the Diagnostics item on the menu bar and run diagnostics. This will take you to the Manage OS Entries page and you should then see both items listed on that page. Do not edit them any further at this point.

Reboot your system and test both entries and if you like rename them after you are sure they both work. Care should be taken to make sure you do NOT change the drive letters of the entries.

I'm assuming that both drives were connected to your system while you installed Vista by the way.
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:36 pm

Ah...I thought that might be the case. Check out this thread to see how to undo that problem. Boot to your XP installation drive to fix it.

Unplugged XP Drive for Vista Setup: Can't Dual Boot to XP

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby ladyland » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:43 am

Grav!ty wrote:Ah...I thought that might be the case. Check out this thread to see how to undo that problem. Boot to your XP installation drive to fix it.

Unplugged XP Drive for Vista Setup: Can't Dual Boot to XP
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:56 am

Try going to the Bootloader tab in VistaBootPRO, reinstall the Vista bootloader, then go to the Diagnostics menu item and run diagnostics.

This will default you back to the Manage OS Entries page and then reboot to check the boot menu item.

If that still doesn't work then let us know and we'll take it from there.

I'm just wondering if all the files are on the system drive. You can check to see which is the system drive in Disk Management. Obviously the system drive changes when you change boot drive, so you need to stay with one selection and get it working from there :yesnod:

PROfessional Member

Postby ladyland » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:23 am

Grav!ty wrote:Try going to the Bootloader tab in VistaBootPRO, reinstall the Vista bootloader, then go to the Diagnostics menu item and run diagnostics.

This will default you back to the Manage OS Entries page and then reboot to check the boot menu item.

I'm just wondering if all the files are on the system drive. You can check to see which is the system drive in Disk Management. Obviously the system drive changes when you change boot drive, so you need to stay with one selection and get it working from there :yesnod:
PRO Level 2

Postby ladyland » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:38 am

Grav!ty wrote:Try going to the Bootloader tab in VistaBootPRO, reinstall the Vista bootloader, then go to the Diagnostics menu item and run diagnostics.

PRO Level 2

Postby ladyland » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:42 am

My SLAVE (storage) drive has a file listed as BOOTSECT.BAK on it. I don't know? Maybe that helps you to figure this out.

When I loaded VISTA with a clean install I unplugged the WD74 with my XP Pro OS. I didn't realize all I had to do was select the new HD as the first boot device and I probably would have been able to load up Vista fine that way. I just unplugged the 74 Raptor with Win XP, then loaded Vista up on a new HD without having the 74 raptor plugged in with my xp on there.
PRO Level 2

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:46 am

Ok, I suggest you make sure all these files are on both your operating systems drives:

boot.ini
NTDETECT.COM
ntldr
Boot (folder and contents)
bootmgr

You can just copy and paste from one to the other untill they are all one each OS drive/partition

Then run diagnostics again and see what the result is.

PROfessional Member

Next

Return to Windows Boot Problems