A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

I killed XP with Vista

Forum rules
Please start your own topic for support with problems you experience. Even if it appears to be exactly the same as someone else's problem, system configurations differ significantly. Thank you.

It may take our support staff between 24-48 hours to respond to your problem. We are a small business and strive to answer your questions as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience.

Postby cmjentinger » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:04 am

Nevermind on the Vista thing. BootPro does not have any other letter but C. If I used a Dos assign function to change the letter, would it screw up BotPro and the boot function of Vista?
PRO Level 2

Postby NT50 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:51 am

What did you use to partition your hard drive the first time?

VBP is only assigning one drive letter due to it only sees one partition..........
Dogs Have Owners; Cats Have Staff
PROfessional Member

Postby cmjentinger » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:58 am

Partition Magic. Is there any way to recover the partition? If I can at least get the data files off of it then that would be enough. I have all my main software disks. Of course, I would like to find a solution to the problem. Thanks for jumping in to help. I sure can use it. Both partitions were readable just prior to installing Vista then POW! nothing.
PRO Level 2

Postby NT50 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:06 am

Partition Magic is what caused your problem. You should have use Windows XP disk manager to resize the partition. Vista is not compatible with 3rd party partition programs. You MAY be able to recover the data with a third party program for data recovery.
PROfessional Member

Postby cmjentinger » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:09 am

Nice. I'm not too glad to hear that. Do you have any recommendations? I see a few steps ahead.

Recover important files (if possible).
Remove the partition
Extend VIsta's partition

How big a mountain is this?
PRO Level 2

Postby NT50 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:10 am

Can you boot to the XP cd rom and go into the recovery console?
PROfessional Member

Postby NT50 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:13 am

bump to make sure
PROfessional Member

Postby cmjentinger » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:24 am

Not sure what you mean by Bump. However, I did try to boot XP from a CD. I entered the setup mode where one of the choices was recover - press r. I pressed R and the next thing that happened was I got a screen that said No hard drive was found on the system. (Not even the Vista partition which I think is weird). A friend of mine asked the same question and the "console described" is something I can't seem to boot to.
PRO Level 2

Postby NT50 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:32 am

The recovery console is the dos looking screen you get when you do a repair. If XP is not seeing the partition then that is not a good thing. If XP repair could see the hard drive partitions the I could have saved you data on Windows XP. I'm trying to find the thread that JabbaPappa was helping somebody with and he actually recovered his data from a partition but it was a different situation than this.
PROfessional Member

Postby cmjentinger » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:58 am

Oh my. That does not sound good. Basically I have a partition that is physically there but lacks a drive designation and volume info. I can make the partition active with Diskpart, a tool in the recovery console. But, even with it active, the system does not see it. Is there any way to reactivate the partition and fix the boot sector? If not, then I am more than hosed by my own hand.

Ok, I have a working Vista partition. Suppose I just decide to say screw it with the XP save, which I am not doing yet, how would I safely eliminate the partition and allow Vista to take over?

What would be a good recovery package to try and get the info of the partition?
PRO Level 2

PreviousNext

Return to Windows Boot Problems