A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

Firewall for Windows XP Professional X64 Edition

Firewall for Windows XP Professional X64 Edition

Postby Grav!ty » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:29 pm

Does anyone know of a good preferably free, firewall for Windows XP Professional X64 Edition yet?

Otherwise can anyone recommend one that is in the US$30.00 price range?

I've been through Software Releases here going back a few months and only found Outpost Firewall Pro and NeT Firewall. They are fairly expensive especially if one has no idea how effective and how user friendly they are.

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby kd1966 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:38 pm

I think I was using Ghostwall on one of the x64 RC1 or 2............ it was free
PRO PLATINUM

Postby Grav!ty » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:14 am

kd1966 wrote:I think I was using Ghostwall on one of the x64 RC1 or 2............ it was free

Thank you KD, I also found that one on google and I'm about to install and will let ya'll know how it goes :yesnod:

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:10 am

GhostWall installs and runs just fine. It is extremely low on resource usuage and there are absolutley no pop-up prompts. This to me is a little problematic as one doesn't actually know how effective it is. Maybe my NAT router plays a role in controlling some items though.

I am keeping it installed but it's clear to me that it needs quite a lot of configuration as without being configured it seems to be just letting all traffic in and out.

There is comprehensive help available at the GhostWall site, and it gives a basic understanding of what protocols and ports are used for what and by which applications. This need to configure the firewall to that extent is a shortcoming in my opinion.

PROfessional Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:19 am

I tried to find Tiny Firewall which actually worked great but I last used it soon after the RTM release of XP Pro X64 and found that Tiny Software has been acquired by Computer Associates. Anyway, I then gave CA Personal Firewall 2007 a try hoping that the fact it's "based on Tiny Software

PROfessional Member

Postby kd1966 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:03 am

LOL!! Good reading Grav!ty; I'm looking forward to testing out the Vista firewall control addon....... although I didn't hear if it was for x86 only.........
PRO PLATINUM

Return to Security & Virus