A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

VBP 3.1 Questions (using Vista x64 Ultimate)

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

VBP 3.1 Questions (using Vista x64 Ultimate)

Postby lgbjr » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:09 am

Hi All,

I just installed VBP 3.1 on Vista x64 Ultimate and I have a few questions:

first, when I start VBP, I get a message that says that either Vista is not installed or that I have an irregular drive configuration. I didn't think my config was irregular. I have 4 SAS drives with Vista installed on the first (of 2) partition of the first (disk 0) disk. VBP seems to run fine after I close the message. Any ideas?

Second, and more important: I want to always allow unsigned drivers to run (at least until the HW manufacturers catch up). But, when I check the "Allow Use of Unsigned Drivers" (and reboot), it doesn't seem to have any effect (I get driver errors when Vista loads). If I reboot, hit F8, and select the same option from the boot menu, all works fine. So, is there something I'm missing regarding the "Allow Use of Unsigned Drivers" checkbox?

TIA for your help!!

BR,
Lee
PRO New Member

Re: VBP 3.1 Questions (using Vista x64 Ultimate)

Postby jbullard » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:41 pm

lgbjr wrote:first, when I start VBP, I get a message that says that either Vista is not installed or that I have an irregular drive configuration. I didn't think my config was irregular. I have 4 SAS drives with Vista installed on the first (of 2) partition of the first (disk 0) disk. VBP seems to run fine after I close the message. Any ideas?

This is due to the fact of your drive configuration. It is irregular compared to what most users are running. This error message is just letting you know that you could possibly have problems in the long run with dual/multi-booting. It is nothing to be concerned about though.

lgbjr wrote:Second, and more important: I want to always allow unsigned drivers to run (at least until the HW manufacturers catch up). But, when I check the "Allow Use of Unsigned Drivers" (and reboot), it doesn't seem to have any effect (I get driver errors when Vista loads). If I reboot, hit F8, and select the same option from the boot menu, all works fine. So, is there something I'm missing regarding the "Allow Use of Unsigned Drivers" checkbox?

With the latest release of Vista (build 6000) disabling of the driver signing was removed from bcdedit. This ability is currently only available in the boot menu; however, we may have discovered a new way to disable driver signing and are currently running new tests which will be available in the next release of VBP.

If you have any more questions please feel free to let us know.

Thanks,
Jason
VP - Software

Postby lgbjr » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:27 am

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the information!

This error message is just letting you know that you could possibly have problems in the long run with dual/multi-booting.

I've had dual/multi-boot setups in the past, but I typically need multiple OS's available simultaneously, so I regularly use Virtual Machines.

With the latest release of Vista (build 6000) disabling of the driver signing was removed from bcdedit.

Guess this explains why I couldn't figure out how to do it in BCDEdit! :confused (Which is why I searched for a tool like VBP to begin with)

Thanks again! Looking forward to the new version of VBP

cheers
Lee
PRO New Member

Postby Sayuuk » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:49 pm

Can you tell us WHEN this is going to happen?
I mean...it's not a big problem to press f8 at every bootup since I'm using Hibernate most of the time, but it would be perfect if it would work again. Then the "enemies" of Vista, that are critizicing it due to that driver signature enforcement, have no argument left ;-)

greetz Stefab
PRO New Member

Postby kd1966 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:15 pm

Hello Sayuuk and welcome to PROnetworks! The Betas Team is working very hard on the next version of VistaBootPRO and we think it will definately be worth the wait. When you get a chance, stop by our Introduction Area so we can give you a PRO welcome! Enjoy the site!
PRO PLATINUM

Return to PRO Software