A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

I've been hacked

Postby kd1966 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:30 am

Also reboot to safemode and run the standard scans............ AV, antispyware............. this may be something that has to be killled "offline"
PRO PLATINUM

Postby McBlzr » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:49 am

I have been on eBay for several years now. I use two different email accounts. One for eBay & a different one for PayPal. So far I have not been hacked, but the # of Phishing emails I get is enormous. I have been very carefull with these & I always forward them to spoof@ebay or paypal as directed by their security dept. Could you have been hacked if you are using a wireless connection without encryption?
ImageImageImageImage

Doc says "Back to The Future" with Windows Vista (LongHorn)!!!
Doc says "The Future isn't written Yet" with WINDOWS 7
PRO Level 7

Postby Xstream » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:56 pm

don't know. I have had ebay for 5 years with no problem, and I just installed a wireless router a few weeks ago. BUT, I have it password protected, so without the password, you cant use my internet, and I'm not sharing files. Heck, I have 2 computers in the house, and even I can't see the other one.
PROfessional Member

Postby kd1966 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:00 pm

Is it WEP or WPA? Also, where you live is there alot of other folks (Like in a condo or apt)? Possibly with laptops that could potentially see your wireless network and access it?
PRO PLATINUM

Postby kanaloa » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:10 pm

You know honestly Jim, I'd say you likely were phished. It's not always obvious... most of us were gotten right here at PRO a few weeks ago, myself included on my own site. It's easy to mistake eBay for a page that looks exactly like it. And then after you use the spoof page it'll usually take you to a page on eBay you'd see after logging in. Normally most users use their cookies to store that info, so they were actually already logged in (hence how the redirect works without you noticing anything unusual).

This is a very easy way to give up not only a password but your username. I've been had only once, here on PRO, but I almost got had on PayPal once too. Sneaky b*stard are getting good.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

Postby kd1966 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:13 pm

Good point........ I rarely use my ebay or paypal, although not necessarily for those reasons........... buy yeah...... they really are getting sneaky........
PRO PLATINUM

Postby Xstream » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:46 pm

found something... my paypal payments were redirected to westjdaa@yahoo.com ( not mine )
wonder if I can get them with that. perhaps yahoo will help.
PROfessional Member

Postby yeshuas » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:53 pm

xstream;

Do you have your wireless router encrypted? Just having it password protected is not good enough. People that know what they are doing can access a password protected wireless router and thus your network without you being able to see them on your network.
Software Development

Postby Xstream » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:54 pm

I know it uses wpa or wep, but I'm not sure which.
PROfessional Member

Postby kanaloa » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:10 pm

Xstream wrote:found something... my paypal payments were redirected to westjdaa@yahoo.com ( not mine )
wonder if I can get them with that. perhaps yahoo will help.

In that case you need to work with PayPal or eBay to find out when that happened. PayPal should have notified you when a new addy was added and set to the primary account.

Where did you find the fake account? What was it tied to? Ebay or PayPal?

Yahoo isn't likely to be much help with a spoof account.

Jim, I'd honestly not worry too much about the router issue. Unless you live next to a hacker or two (unlikely), I doubt it was that. Just MHO.
"Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice, and discipline." - Jim Collins
President

PreviousNext

Return to Security & Virus