A Digital Age Deserves A Digital Leader

VistaBootPRO3.1 - Restart after choosing XP; have to change bios boot priority.

Forum rules
This forum is meant for support of PRO Software only. PROnetworks reserves the right to edit any topic title to better explain the contents of a post. We also may move your post to a more suitable forum if necessary.

It may take our support staff up to 24 hours to respond to your problem. We appreciate your patience.

VistaBootPRO3.1 - Restart after choosing XP; have to change bios boot priority.

Postby ultrajounin » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:56 pm

I was hoping I would have to post another similar problem but I couldnt find the answer in the rest of the forums...

My problem is somewhat similar to this http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86211

My setup:
Disk 0 = Windows XP (already installed). However when I setup my new build Disk was on SATA Channel 4 (last channel avail, I initially thought it was the first SATA channel)
Disk 1 = Vista - recently added new drive on the next available channel (channel 3) and installed vista from DVD.

Vista installed fine, then I installed vista boot manager3.1, added my Legacy OS (Screenshots to follow) but when I rebooted ONLY XP would load w/o the option of boot manager. I assume because in BIOS channel 4 had priority over 3 since channel 4 had XP installed first.

^^Now at this point
Channel 4 (physically) = XP
Channel 3 (physically) = Vista
and boot priority is 4 > 3

So then in the BIOS I switched the channel 3 and 4 boot priority (3-'vista' > and 4-'XP'). When I did that Vista came up with boot manager however when I chose XP it just reboots and takes my back to the boot manager.

So I decided to physically change the cabling
Channel 3 (physically) = XP
Channel 4 (physically) = Vista
and boot priority is 3 > 4

^^This config only boots XP with no boot loader menu.

At the moment the only way I can boot between the two OS' is by changing my boot priority in the bios(3>4; 4>3), which from what I've been reading is suppose to corrupt the ntldr but mine is fine.

So my main issue that I'd like to address is getting the boot manager to load XP correctly instead of just rebooting.

Thanks for all your help and I hope my explanation isnt confusing.
PRO New Member

Postby Grav!ty » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:32 am

Hi ultrajounin and welcome to PROnetworks. This is not a VistaBootPRO issue so I will move your thread to the Vista Chat & Support forum shortly.

Check out these two threads for some info about how to go about getting your system to boot both OS's. Although they don't directly relate to your problem, much of the info there does and can help you understand what needs to be fixed on your system.

Unplugged XP Drive for Vista Setup: Can't Dual Boot to XP

Unplugged XP Drive for Vista Setup: Can't Dual Boot to XP

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they were realities, and are often more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are." - Niccolo Machiavelli
PROfessional Member

Return to PRO Software